You’ve got a new dog, and you’re both strong with The Force, so you need a Star Wars name. Depending on your dog’s breed, appearance, and behavior, you have many possibilities for Star Wars names, even if your pooch grows up to be a Sith lord.
Star Wars Dog Names
Star Wars is a multimedia franchise that spans many movies and countless TV shows released since its beginnings in 1977, when it reignited the interest in space adventures. With many good, bad, and grey-area characters, you’ve got plenty of Star Wars dog names to choose from. And given that 70 million US households own a dog and more than 1 in 3 internet users in North America identify as Star Wars fans, it’s a good thing to have lots of options.
Star Wars Names for Male Dogs
If you’ve got a male pooch joining your family, consider some of the following names.
From the Original Trilogy
Where it all started, Episodes IV, V, and VI give us some terrific choices.
Dog Names for Large, Imposing Dogs
- Chewbacca fits any big, lumbering dog.
- Vader would be great for a guard dog.
- General Veers
- Emperor Palpatine for your regal, potentially evil pup.
- Jabba works especially if you have a big dog breed.
There’s also Darth and Fett.
Dog Names for Sweet Boys and Scoundrels
- Luke is the hero.
- Han is a scoundrel.
- Obi-Wan may be wise, but in earlier times, he was rash, kind of like a puppy.
- Yoda befits a small big-eared dog.
- Admiral Ackbar gave us, “It’s a trap!”
- Uncle Owen
Dog Names From the Prequels
Bad guys outnumber the good guys, so here are some of the coolest names of nefarious ne’er-do-wells:
- Maul is one of the coolest characters in Star Wars.
Since most of us root for the good guys, consider these names:
- Anakin meant well even as he turned to the Dark Side.
- Mace was a noble Jedi with a distinctive lightsaber.
Other good guy names seem like they’d be fun to shout out at the dog park.
- Kitt Fisto
Dog Names From Other Projects
- Poe brought good looks and a smart mouth to Star Wars.
- Finn befits the most loyal of dogs.
- Grogu is Baby Yoda’s real name. Everyone loves that little guy.
And don’t forget:
- Cad Bane
Star Wars Names for Female Dogs
With its share of royal women, Star Wars gives us a broad spectrum of good and bad ladies with great names.
From the Original Trilogy
- Leia was our first brush with a princess.
- Aunt Beru raised the orphaned Luke.
More Star Wars female dog names here, including more royalty.
- Padme was a queen and gave birth to Luke and Leia.
- Shmi was Anakin’s mom.
And think of:
- Rey was scrappy.
- Ahsoka was an annoying kid who grew up to become wise and strong.
- Peli offers comic relief in “The Mandalorian.”
- Jyn saved the Rebellion at the cost of her own life.
Some deep-cut Star Wars female dog names make great choices, too.
Or maybe you want to go with a cutesy droid name, some of which are more familiar than others.
With literally thousands of named characters, droids, creatures, and even planets, your choices for dog names from Star Wars are almost infinite. Show your Star Wars love.
If you’re looking for more ideas on what to name your dog, we have a series of comprehensive lists you may find helpful:
- The best ideas for French dog names
- The best ideas for Star Wars dog names
- The best ideas for Russian dog names
- The best ideas for Marvel dog names
- The best ideas for Sassy Girl dog names
- The best ideas for Gangster dog names
- The best ideas for Anime dog names
- The best ideas for dog names that start with B
- The best ideas for Hawaiian dog names
- The best ideas for Country dog names