You care about your dog’s health and want to feed him a high-quality, nutritious diet. Unfortunately, many dog foods on the market today are made with the cheapest ingredients and contain filler ingredients like GMO corn, wheat, and soy that do more harm to your dog than good. Feeding your pet the best organic dog food you can find will improve his energy, give him a shiny coat, and help him live a longer, healthier life.
We’ve reviewed dozens of organic dog foods to identify the best, highest-quality, most nutritious organic dog food at any budget, based on factors such as quality of ingredients, Amazon ratings, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to five of the top-rated organic dog foods that are on the market today.
We’ve identified the Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Natural Dog Food as the best organic dog food. While it’s a little pricier than some of our dog food picks, it is made with all-natural ingredients, including roasted bison as the number one ingredient, fruits and vegetables, and added vitamins and minerals. This, coupled with the fact that it is nutrient rich and ultra digestible make it an excellent choice for smart dog owners.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Best Organic Dog Foods
|Best Overall||Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Natural Dry Dog Food||4.3|
|Runner Up||Natural Ultramix Grain Free Poultry Free Adult Dry Dog Food||4.5|
|Best Budget Buy||Purina Beyond Superfood Blend Salmon||4.5|
|Best Grain-Free Organic Dog Food||BLUE Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food||4.4|
|Best Natural Dog Food||Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food||4.2|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Taste of the Wild Grain-Free High Protein Natural Dog Food
If you’re looking for a nutritious organic dog food, look no further than the Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Natural Dog Food. It contains all-natural ingredients and added vitamins and minerals for a healthy balanced diet. It’s made with premium bison as the number one ingredient. It’s grain-free and contains complex carbohydrates from sweet potatoes and legumes. This combination of ingredients will keep your dog full and energized throughout the day. The Taste of the Wild food also includes prebiotics and probiotics with bacteria naturally found your dog’s digestive tract. The food also includes marine-sourced omega-3 to help improve your pet’s skin and coat.
Reviewers claim that their pets have twice the energy after switching them onto the Taste of the Wild food for one week. Their pups also need less food and eliminate less often because they get more nutrients in less volume. They also say that Taste of the Wild provides the highest quality at the lowest per pound. It also works out to be less expensive than some of the other brands because you don’t need to feed as much. They also remark that their dogs love the taste of the food and prefer it over other brands.
Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Natural Dog Food Key Features:
- Roasted bison is the number one ingredient for lean and strong muscles
- Includes fruits and vegetables for natural antioxidants
- Includes a fatty acid blend for healthy skin and coat
- A proprietary blend of probiotics makes it highly digestible for your dog
- Sustainable ingredients are sourced from around the world
Our Runner-Up Pick: Natural Ultramix Grain-Free Dog Food
Natural Ultramix Grain-Free Food is a close second to our top pick. This dog food blend is free of wheat, corn, soy, and fillers. It provides natural sources of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, as well as real pieces of fruits and vegetables in each piece of kibble. This high-protein blend includes salmon as the number one ingredient, which is gentle on your pet’s stomach. It also includes probiotics that help improve your pet’s digestive health. The Ultramix blend is high in omega-3 and omega-6 that are essential for healthy skin and coat.
Reviewers say this food is a knock-out win for dogs with allergies. Many dogs are allergic to ingredients like soy, wheat, corn, and poultry. This blend is free of all common allergens. Instead, it includes fish, which is easily digestible by most pooches. Reviewers also love how the food makes their pet’s fur shiny and soft.
Natural Ultramix Grain-Free Dog Food Key Features:
- Grain-free and poultry-free, includes no corn, soy, or wheat
- Salmon is the number one ingredient
- Kibble includes real pieces of fruits and vegetables
- Natural fiber helps support digestion
- Rich in antioxidants and fatty acids
- Made in the USA
Best Budget Pick: Purina Beyond Superfood Blend Dog Food
At just $23.41 for a 14.5-pound bag, the Purina Beyond Superfood Blend Dog Food is the best dog food for budget-conscious pet owners who don’t want to sacrifice quality for price. The superfood blend includes salmon, egg, and pumpkin, with real salmon as the number one ingredient. The food is made with all-natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals for a complete and balanced meal. It contains no soy, wheat, corn, poultry, or by-products. It’s also free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
Reviewers love that their dogs enjoy the taste of the food. They find that the food is easy to digest – even for senior dogs. Even better, they find that their dogs eat less and eliminate less because they are more satisfied with the improved nutrition. This makes the Purina Beyond even more budget-friendly than some of the regular bargain brands because you need less of it to feed your pup.
Purina Beyond Superfood Blend Dog Food Key Features:
- All-natural ingredients include salmon, egg, and pumpkin
- Contains no soy, wheat, corn, poultry, or by-products
- Free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- High-quality, nutrient-dense formula
- Recipe approved by in-house Purina nutritionists
Best Grain-Free Organic Dog Food: BLUE Wilderness Grain-Free Dog Food
If you’re looking for a grain-free dog food, look no further than the BLUE Wilderness Grain-Free Dog Food. This high-protein and grain-free formula is made with salmon, chicken meal, and fish meal to supply your dog with all the protein he needs. It contains BLUE’s exclusive “LifeSource Bits”, which is a proprietary blend of essential vitamins and antioxidants. The formula contains no by-products, corn, wheat, or soy. Since it contains no grains, fruits and vegetables comprise its carbohydrate content. It also has DHA to help support a dogs’ brain, and glucosamine and chondroitin provide joint and mobility support.
Reviewers remark that their pets love the taste of the BLUE food. They also like that the formula gives their pooch more pep than some of the other dog food brands. One reviewer even contacted BLUE to find out where their food ingredients originated. The company wrote back with a list of sources and stated that none of their ingredients come from China.
BLUE Wilderness Grain Free Dog Food Key Features:
- Made with deboned salmon, chicken meal, and fish meal
- Contains wholesome fruits and veggies to provide your dog with a balanced diet
- Contains BLUE’s exclusive “LifeSource Bits,” a proprietary blend of vitamins and antioxidants
- No by-products, corn, wheat, or soy
Best Natural Dog Food: Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dog Food
Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dog Food is an all-natural dog food with real ingredients, like U.S. farm-raised chicken, peas, carrots, and brown rice. It contains no artificial flavors or preservatives, and no by-products, fillers, or wheat. It also includes prebiotics to help with a pup’s digestion and vitamins and minerals to support a healthy diet.
A portion of proceeds from the sale of Nutrish is donated to The Rachael Ray Foundation, which helps animals in need by giving them food, medical supplies, and veterinary care.
Reviewers love how the food improved their pups’ digestion and gave them more energy throughout the day. Some reviewers remarked that the food even cleared up their dogs’ allergies and digestive problems.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dog Food Key Features:
- Natural prebiotics help support healthy digestion
- No artificial flavors or artificial preservatives
- No by-products, fillers, or wheat
- Includes added vitamins and chelated minerals for a balanced diet
Who Should Buy Organic Dog Food
Organic dog food is a great choice for any dog. Before they were domesticated, a wolf’s diet consisted mainly of fresh meat. Today, dogs have evolved to handle some grains in their diet, but not the low-quality, over-processed filler ingredients that make up most of the dog food on the grocery store shelf. In addition, a lot of dog food on the market is made with GMO corn, wheat, and soy, ingredients which have been known to exacerbate allergies and disease in our pups.
Good, quality nutrition can make a world of difference for you dog. When you start feeding your pooch a diet free of artificial ingredients and preservatives, you’ll see improved allergies and skin ailments, less digestive issues, and a shinier, healthier coat. Your dog’s immune system will also improve and his energy will shoot right back up to the time he was a pup. In short, he’ll live a healthier, happy, and longer life.
Important Features to Consider
Organic dog food should contain all-natural ingredients and provide a balanced diet for your dog. Here’s what to consider when selecting an organic dog food:
- Organic or natural? When searching for a more nutritious dog food for your pet, you’ll find that some are labeled all-natural, while some are labeled organic. Natural food contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. An organic label ensures the food is all-natural, but also free of antibiotics, synthetic hormones, toxic pesticides, and genetically modified ingredients. You’ll need to determine if the extra cost of organic ingredients is important to you and your dog.
- Grain-free? Some all-natural dog food is also labeled as “grain-free”. Grain-free food is made without grains, such as corn, wheat, soy, rice, oats, rye, and buckwheat. These ingredients can cause food sensitivities or allergies in some dogs. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, skin problems, or other signs of an allergy, you might want to try a grain-free dog food to see if that relieves some of his issues.
- Free of by-products? Many natural dog food is also free of by-products and by-product meal. By-products are basically skeletal meats, connective tissue, blood, and organs. There is no evidence that these ingredients are harmful to dogs, but it gives owners peace of mind since they would never want to eat these parts of an animal themselves.
- Price. Organic dog food can be quite expensive. You’ll need to take into account the cost per pound, which can vary depending upon how much you buy at one time, and determine if the price can fit into your budget. Keep in mind that many natural and organic foods are nutrient-dense, meaning you’ll have to feed your pet less per meal than other brands. Take a look at the suggested feeding amounts on the bag and be sure to take that into consideration.
- Source of ingredients. The sourcing of ingredients for dog food is very important. Some brands source only the finest ingredients from around the world, while others source ingredients from locations with questionable farming and meat raising practices.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is organic dog food?
In order to be labeled as organic, pet food must be free of all artificial flavors, preservatives, and colors. The meat used to make the food must be free of antibiotics and synthetic hormones. The ingredients must not be genetically engineered or altered and must be farmed without toxic pesticides. A label reading “100% organic” must be made with all organic ingredients. If the label simply says “Organic”, it only has to contain 95% organic ingredients.
What’s the difference between natural and organic dog food?
When it comes to dog food, the words organic and natural are often used interchangeably, but they mean very different things. Natural pet food is made without artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Instead, the ingredients come only from plants, animals, or naturally occurring minerals, with the exception of a few essential vitamins. Organic pet food, on the other hand, must be all-natural, but also free of antibiotics, synthetic hormones, and toxic pesticides. Ingredients must also not be genetically engineered or modified.
Is organic dog food better for my dog?
Buying organic dog food ensures that your dog won’t be subjected to any antibiotics, synthetic hormones, or pesticides in his diet. You can rest assured that the meat that goes into your pet’s food was raised in better living conditions and ate a healthy diet. You can also be assured that the food isn’t genetically altered or modified. In short, organic food is generally healthier for your dog, but isn’t a necessity. Good quality, all-natural food can provide your pooch with excellent nutrition.
Is organic dog food safe for dogs with allergies?
Organic dog food is generally better tolerated by dogs with allergies than other brands. However, it really depends on the specific ingredients your dog is allergic to. Common allergens include pesticides, corn, soy, wheat, and eggs. To figure out the root cause of your pet’s allergies, see if your veterinarian can perform an allergy test. Or, try an elimination diet. Remove the common allergens from his diet and see if his allergies improve.
Other Organic Dog Foods We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog foods. Even though they didn’t make our five best organic dog foods list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your pet. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Cooked in an organically-certified kitchen in the USA, Castor & Pollux Organix Dog Food is USDA-certified organic. It includes free-range organic chicken, organic flaxseed, blueberries, and coconut oil.
- Available in six different blends for your pet’s varying needs
- Includes no pesticides, fertilizers, artificial preservatives, growth hormones, or antibiotics
- Made with prebiotics and probiotics for healthy digestion
The Wellness Complete Health dog food is grain-free, with high protein, including de-boned chicken and whitefish. It contains essential vitamins and minerals making it complete and balanced nutrition for your dog.
- No wheat, corn, soy, meat by-products, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Includes antioxidants, omega 3 and 6, and probiotics
- Made in the USA
Another grain-free, complete and balanced everyday nutrition for your dog, Holistic Select Natural Dog Food contains no corn, by-products or artificial ingredients.
- Contains no corn, meat by-products, artificial colors, flavors, fillers or preservatives
- Includes live yogurt cultures, digestive enzymes, probiotics, and prebiotics for healthy digestion
- Added natural fiber helps move food through the digestive tract.
Natural Planet Organics is an organic dog food that contains all-natural, non-GMO ingredients and added vitamins and minerals that are perfectly balanced for a healthy diet.
- Grain-free and organic
- Contains fruits and vegetables for added antioxidants
- Includes balanced omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to support a healthy immune system
Blue Buffalo Life Protection contains protein-rich lamb, wholesome whole grains, vegetables, and fruit. It also contains “LifeSource Bits”, BLUE’s proprietary blend of vitamins and minerals.
- No corn, wheat, soy, or meat by-products
- Contains calcium and phosphorus for strong bones and teeth
- Backed by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists
Diamond Naturals All Life Stages contains cage-free chicken as the number one ingredient. It also contains a proprietary blend of probiotics that support digestive and immune systems.
- Includes superfoods like kale, papaya, pumpkin, and blueberries
- Chia seeds, coconut, and flaxseeds provide omega fatty acids
- Made with scientifically advanced food safety protocols
Newman’s Own Dog Food contains no wheat or corn and is made with 75% organic ingredients. Like other Newman’s Own products, 100% of the proceeds of the sale of the dog food goes to charity.
- Chicken is the number one ingredient
- Contains the ideal protein to fat ratio for adult dogs
- 70% organic
The Natural Ultramix Adult dog food contains chicken as the number one ingredient and includes no artificial ingredients. This formula is similar to our runner-up pick, above, but isn’t grain-free.
- Contains pieces of fruits and vegetables for antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber
- No ingredients from China
- Added omega fatty acids help promote healthy skin and coat
The ingredients in Halo Holistic dog food contain no growth hormones or antibiotics. Halo also sources its ingredients from cage-free and humane farms – no factory farming.
- Made with real, whole meat, not rendered “meat meal”
- Proven digestibility and provides more bioavailable nutrients than other brands
- Includes whole, organic ingredients like chicken, chicken liver, oatmeal, and pearled barley
Nature’s Variety Instinct features kibble that has been tumbled in freeze-dried raw chicken for superior nutrition and taste. The recipe includes cage-free chicken, oatmeal, brown rice, and barley.
- Never contains filler ingredients, such as corn, wheat, and soy
- Contains raw, minimally processed meat
- Made in the USA
Nutro Wholesome Essentials is made with non-GMO ingredients and features high-quality protein and all-natural grains and vegetables. It also contains essential antioxidants to support your pooch’s immune system.
- Farm-raised chicken is the number one ingredient
- Ingredients sourced only from trusted farmers and suppliers
- Clean and minimally processed
Solid Gold Wee Bit Holistic food is an all-natural, potato free dry dog food recipe with healthy whole grains. Bison is the number one ingredient and whole grains, such as barley and brown rice, make up the carbohydrate content.
- Superfoods, like apples, carrots, and blueberries provide essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- Prebiotics & living probiotics support gut health
- Contains no corn, wheat or soy
Honest Kitchen dog food is a dehydrated dog food made from organic, human-grade ingredients. Just add warm water for a wholesome meal.
- Each two-pound box contains 2 1/2 pounds of cage-free turkey, 1/2 head of cabbage, and 1 1/4 scoops of oatmeal
- 100% human-grade
- Honest Kitchen suppliers must certify they meet FDA standards for food safety, sustainability, and fair-trade practices
Spot Farms is also dehydrated, human-grade dog food. This blend features ancient grains, like barley and oats.
- Human-grade ingredients
- Only real meat – no animal meal or by-products
- Just add warm water and stir
Newman’s Own is a USDA organic canned dog food that’s 95% chicken and liver. 100% of the proceeds of the sale of the dog food go to charity.
- Grain-free – no wheat, corn, soy, or gluten
- Organic pea flour and alfalfa provide insoluble fiber
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition
Castor & Pollux canned food is 100% USDA-certified organic and features free-range chicken as the number one ingredient.
- Includes a superfood blend of organic flaxseed, blueberries, and coconut flour
- No added growth hormones, antibiotics, chemical pesticides or synthetic fertilizers
- Made in the USA
Purina Beyond wet food is grain-free with chicken as the number one ingredient. Vegetables, like carrots and peas, round out the recipe for a complete and balanced meal.
- Grain-free with no soy, corn, or wheat
- Nutritionist formulated recipe
- Meets food safety standards set by the USDA, FDA, and AAFCO
Nature’s Variety Instinct is grain-free and packed with protein for strong muscles. It’s also free of potato, corn, wheat, soy, and artificial colors.
- 95% chicken, turkey, and chicken liver
- 5% vegetables, such as peas, carrots, artichokes, broccoli, cabbage, and kale
- Made in the USA
I and love and you dog food is grain-free and all-natural. This canned food is free of carrageenan, a thickening agent made from seaweed that has been linked to stomach cancer.
- Common allergen-free – no corn, wheat, rice, or soy
- Includes omegas 3 and 6 from flaxseed and fish oil
- Contains real vegetables and fruits, like spinach, green beans, sweet potato, cranberries, and pumpkin
Whole Earth Farms features a farm to bowl philosophy. It’s grain-free, all-natural and the first ingredient is real chicken.
- Contains chicken and turkey and a wholesome harvest blend of vegetables and fruit
- No corn, wheat, soy, or by-products
- No ingredients sourced from China and made in the USA