If you routinely come home to find your dog’s bed is nothing but fluff and shreds of material, it’s time to look for an indestructible dog bed. Your dog might try to chew everything in sight, but she still deserves a comfortable bed to sleep on. As any owner of a destructive chewer will know, the most determined dogs will always find a way, but these beds are far more durable than your average dog bed and are likely to last far longer.
We reviewed dozens of indestructible dog beds to identify the best of the best. Our main consideration was overall durability, but we also considered factors such as size, comfort, color, and customer reviews.
It was a tough choice, but the AmazonBasics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed stood out to us due to its chew-proof metal frame and extremely tough nylon mesh sleeping platform. The whole setup of the bed makes it near-impossible to destroy, which is like a miracle for pet parents whose dogs have destroyed countless beds.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Indestructible Dog Beds
|Best Indestructible Dog Bed Overall||AmazonBasics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed||4.6|
|Best Indestructible Dog Crate Pad||The Dog’s Bed Waterproof Crate Pad||4.5|
|Best Budget Indestructible Dog Bed||Bedsure Original Elevated Dog Cot Bed||4.5|
|Best Machine Washable Indestructible Dog Bed||Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer Dog Bed||4.3|
|Best Waterproof Indestructible Dog Bed||Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed||4.1|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Indestructible Dog Bed Overall: AmazonBasics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed
For a dog who’s an aggressive chewer, the AmazonBasics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed might be just what you’re looking for. It might not be what you’d think of as a plush, cozy bed but it’s surprisingly comfortable. The mesh sleeping platform has just the right amount of give and is specially designed to avoid pressure points. What’s more, since air can circulate underneath, it feels cool to sleep on, even in hot weather when most dogs might avoid sleeping on warm beds. It’s easy to assemble and you can easily wipe it over with a damp cloth or spray it with a hose to wash it.
The metal frame is impossible for dogs to chew through, so you have no worries there. The mesh platform is tough enough to be scratch-proof and there’s really no easy way for dogs to chew it, so you’ll find that most dogs won’t even attempt it. If you’ve been searching far and wide for one bed your dog can’t destroy, this might be it. You can choose from five sizes between extra-small and extra-large, so there’s something suitable for almost every dog. Depending on the size and color combination you opt for, you can spend anywhere from $25 to $37.
AmazonBasics Cooling Elevated Pet Bed Key Features:
- Two-color choices: green and gray
- Elevated 7 inches off the ground
- Extremely durable with an iron frame and PVC mesh platform
Best Indestructible Dog Crate Pad: The Dog’s Bed Waterproof Crate Pad
The Dog’s Bed Waterproof Crate Pad is the ideal choice for lining your dog’s crate. Some crate pads can be thin and flimsy, whereas this one’s a bit plusher than most with a slight bolstered edge and made from a highly durable tightly woven Oxford fabric that’s difficult for dogs to scratch and tear. It even has a waterproof layer in case your dog spills water in her crate or has an accident. The cover is removable and machine washable, so cleaning it is easy. You can even buy spare covers so your dog can still use her bed while one cover’s in the wash.
You can choose between four sizes: medium, large, x-large, and xx-large. The smallest of these sizes measures 31.5 by 23.5 inches, while the largest measures 53 by 37 inches, so they’re best from medium and large-sized dogs, or small dogs who sleep in an oversized crate (though this generally isn’t recommended. Prices range from $45 to $74, depending on the option you choose.
The Dog’s Bed Waterproof Crate Pad Key Features:
- Reversible design helps improve its lifespan
- Easy to clean and cover dries quickly
- Tougher than an average fabric bed, but not for the heaviest of chewers
Best Budget Indestructible Dog Bed: Bedsure Original Elevated Dog Cot Bed
Fancy indestructible dog beds can cost well over $100, but this simple Bedsure Original Elevated Dog Cot Bed costs just $26 for a small bed, $28 for a medium bed, and $30 for a large bed. The sleeping area of the small bed measures 28 by 25 inches, the sleeping area of the medium bed measures 36 by 31 inches and the sleeping area of the large bed measures 43 by 35 inches. Each is raised 8 inches off the ground with a tough chew-resistant mesh sleeping area, so there’s plenty of air circulation to keep your pup cool. The frame is made from metal, so even the strongest dogs can’t chew through it. Some assembly is required, but it’s very simple and a hex key tool is included.
This budget bed is suitable for either indoor or outdoor use. It’s carefully designed so the mesh has a comfortable amount of give while still being supportive. The rubber feet help stop the bed from sliding around on hard floors when your dog jumps on or off.
Paws & Pals Elevated Dog Bed Key Features:
- Maximum weight limit of 40 lbs for small bed, 65 lbs for medium bed, and 85 lbs for large bed
- Easy to clean; can be wiped or hosed down
- The mesh is highly durable and resists scrabbling or chewing
Best Machine Washable Indestructible Dog Bed: Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer Dog Bed
If you want a soft yet tough bed for your dog, try Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer Dog Bed. Sure, determined dogs could destroy this bed, but the durable polyester outer doesn’t tear easily, so your dog can scrabble around on it and even chew it a little without breaching it. The outer is also water-resistant (though not fully waterproof), which makes it great for both indoor and outdoor use. This bed is well padded with a channeled liner to keep the stuffing in place, so it shouldn’t get lumpy or uneven.
There are three colors to choose from, as well as two sizes: medium and large. The medium bed measures 36 by 27 inches, while the large bed measures 40 by 30 inches. Depending on your chosen size and color combination, this bed costs between $31 and $41, which is quite reasonable.
Pet Craft Supply Super Snoozer Dog Bed Key Features:
- The whole bed is machine washable on a cool cycle and can be tumble dried on low
- Plush polyfill stuffing is comfortable to lie on
- UV treated so it won’t get faded or damaged in direct sunlight
Best Waterproof Indestructible Dog Bed: Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed
The Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed is a rugged, no-nonsense option that might not be completely indestructible but comes close. The cotton canvas is extremely durable and hard for dogs to destroy. Its water repellent coating makes it come extremely close to being completely waterproof. It certainly repels water well enough for outdoor use if your dog needs somewhere comfy to lie down when she’s out in the yard. The outer cover is removable and machine washable, which is great for getting rid of odor, dirt, and hair that inevitably builds up on dog beds.
Although fairly muted, you have a range of color and print options for this bed. Pick between classic Carhartt brown, dark brown, and a mossy forest print. You can also choose from two sizes: medium (measuring 27 by 35 inches) or large (measuring 33 by 41 inches). Prices vary depending on the combination of size and color you pick, but range between $68 and $85, which is a good price, considering the quality.
Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed Key Features:
- Interior cushion has baffle construction to keep filling in place
- Strong YKK zipper concealed by flap
- Effective water repellent coating
Who Should Buy an Indestructible Dog Bed
You’ll know if you need to buy an indestructible dog bed, because your four-legged friend will have already destroyed several. Some dogs, especially young dogs, grow out of this kind of behavior, otherwise, positive reinforcement training can help, as can getting to the bottom of any stress or anxiety that might cause destructive behavior. Perhaps looking for another option for your pet’s situation, dog muzzles and bark collars can be helpful too. But, in the meantime, buying an indestructible dog bed will save you money spent replacing less durable beds.
Even if your dog isn’t destructive, rugged dog beds last longer so they can be a good choice in general. If you’re unsure whether you need an indestructible dog bed, you may want to check out our general guide to the best dog beds.
Important Features to Consider
An indestructible dog bed should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting an indestructible bed for your dog:
- Bed type. You’ll find two main categories of indestructible dog beds: elevated beds and fabric beds (though there are several sub-types of fabric beds, such as orthopedic dog beds and donut dog beds). Elevated dog beds tend to be the most durable option. Their frames are made from metal, so there’s no way dogs can chew through them. Unfortunately, they’re not suitable for all dogs, such as senior dogs who can’t hop up onto the raised platform. Plus, some don’t just don’t take to them. Fabric dog beds are your classic plush dog beds. They can never be truly indestructible but they’re made from tough fabrics that are chew-resistant or tear-resistant.
- Durable materials. It’s important that an indestructible dog bed is made from high-quality durable materials, otherwise, it won’t live up to its name. Polyester fabric tends to be durable, as are other tightly-woven synthetics. If you’re looking for a natural material, high-grade cotton canvas is a good choice.
- Ease of cleaning. Obviously dog beds get stinky and dirty over time, so you’ll thank yourself for choosing a dog bed that’s easy to clean. Fabric beds should ideally be completely machine washable or have machine washable covers. Practically all elevated dog beds can simply be wiped clean or hosed down.
- Comfort. You want your dog to be comfortable in her bed. Memory foam or other foam options are always good for comfort, though plush polyfill beds can suffice for younger dogs (they generally aren’t supportive enough for seniors). Decent elevated beds are supportive and surprisingly comfortable, designed to avoid pressure points.
- Size. Always check the dimensions of your chosen indestructible dog bed to ensure it’s a good fit for your canine companion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are indestructible dog beds really indestructible?
Although we’d like them to be, no dog beds are truly indestructible. Some, however, are significantly more durable than others. “Indestructible” dog beds are made from tougher-than-average materials, such as rip-stop fabrics, or have metal frames to discourage chewing. While we can’t promise that any dog bed will last forever, our recommended options should last significantly longer than a flimsier dog bed.
Why does my dog rip up her bed?
Puppies and young dogs may chew beds just because they’re teething or because they haven’t got out of the habit yet, but when older dogs destroy beds, there’s often an underlying reason. If your dog rips her bed while you’re out of the house, it may be due to separation anxiety. Otherwise, it could be down to other stressors or anxieties. That said, some dogs do seem to destroy beds for the sheer fun of destroying them or because they’re bored.
How do I keep my dog from tearing up her bed?
If you think your dog destroys beds (or even pet car seat covers) out of boredom, you need to offer her more stimulation, both mental and physical. In addition to taking her on longer or more frequent walks, you should engage in some activities to give her brain a workout. This could include trick training, puzzle toys, or games such as hide and seek. You may also find you can redirect your dog’s chewing behavior by providing something appropriate to chew, like a chew toy. If it’s a more serious behavioral or anxiety issue, such as separation anxiety, you may need to enlist the help of a professional dog trainer, ideally one that uses positive reinforcement techniques.
Will my dog grow out of chewing her bed?
If your dog is still a puppy, it’s likely she’ll grow out of chewing her bed, but you don’t want her to make it a habit. Teach your dog the “leave it” command, so you can tell her to stop chewing as soon as you spot her doing it. When she stops on your command, praise her and give her treats. Keep doing this and she’ll soon learn that she gets more out of NOT chewing her bed than chewing it.
Other Indestructible Dog Beds We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other indestructible dog beds. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best indestructible dog beds list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your four-legged friend. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Elevated Indestructible Dog Beds
- Indestructible Crate Pads
- Chew-Resistant Fabric Indestructible Dog Beds
- Orthopedic Indestructible Dog Beds
Elevated Indestructible Dog Beds
The metal frame is chew-proof, while the high-density polyethylene platform is a tough choice that also prevents pressure points while your dog is lying down.
- Three size options
- Six colors
- Mold and mildew resistant
Cost: $22 to $43
This inflatable elevated dog bed is designed for outdoor use, travel, or camping trips. The PVC material is extremely tough.
- No assembly required
- Breathable and cooling
- Packs down small when not in use
Thanks to the tough yet lightweight aluminum frame, there’s no way your dog can chew the main part of the frame, though some dogs might go for the plastic joints.
- Available in four sizes and three colors
- Fits in standard crate sizes
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
Cost: $109 to $179
With a sturdy frame and sleeping platform made from tough 600 denier material, this is an excellent choice of bed for destructive dogs.
- Cover is removable and washable
- Attractive forest design
- Simple to assemble
The high strength PVC frame is practically indestructible and supports dogs up to 100 pounds. With six size options, it fits most dogs.
- Fabric has hidden edges to discourage chewing
- Four colors to choose from
- Easy to clean
Cost: $65 to $129
This durable dog bed is available in medium and large sizes. You can also buy replacement fabric parts in case your dog manages to destroy them.
- Wipe-clean finish
- Simple to assemble
- Suited to indoor or outdoor use
Cost: $25 to $30
We love the powder-coated steel frame of this bed, which is highly durable and weather resistant. The textilene mesh sleeping platform is fairly tough, too.
- Three sizes and four colors
- Largest size accommodates dogs up to 150 lbs
- Excellent airflow to keep dogs cool
Indestructible Dog Crate Pads
This four-inch-thick crate pad is a world away from some of the flimsy crate pads on the market, offering excellent orthopedic support.
- Waterproof, tear-resistant fabric
- Four sizes to fit in standard crates
- Washable cover
Cost: $100 to $160
It isn’t quite as thick and comfortable as the offering from Big Barker above, but this crate pad is made from a tough rip-stop material.
- Choose from six sizes and seven colors
- Soft polyfill center
- No zippers or velcro
Cost: $59 to $119
This tough dog bed is made from a heavy-duty water repellent fabric. It’s machine washable to make cleaning easier.
- Five sizes and four colors
- Non-slip base
- Tough polyester fabric
Cost: $28 to $61
With its reinforced corners and strong material, it’s a good choice for lighter chewers, but determined chewers are likely to destroy it.
- Choice of five sizes
- Plush sleeping surface
- Bolstered edge
Cost: $30 to $65
While it is durable and made from rip-stop fabric, this mat has mixed reviews as heavy chewers can rip it apart.
- Comes in six sizes
- Double-stitched seams
- Reinforced corners
Chew-Resistant Fabric Indestructible Dog Beds
Advertised as a heavy-duty bed, this model is pretty tough but don’t expect it to be completely indestructible.
- Available in small and medium sizes
- A range of colors and prints to choose from
- Made from scratch-resistant synthetic suede
Cost: $33 to $53
Destructive dogs can like to be cozy in a deep dish bed, too. This one is made from a rugged material suited to light chewers and diggers.
- Comfort from 360-degree bolster
- Machine washable
- No zippers or velcro
Cost: $99 to $109
This round cushion style bed is virtually indestructible with a waterproof rip-stop cover that resists most digging and chewing.
- Available in four sizes from 24 to 54 inches in diameter
- Choose from 12 colors and prints
- Cover is machine washable
Cost: $89 to $199
Twice as strong as standard fabric, this bed can foil moderately destructive dogs. Measuring 40 by 30 inches, it’s great for big dogs.
- Removable, machine washable cover
- Non-slip bottom
Orthopedic Indestructible Dog Beds
This super comfy dog bed is stuffed full of shredded memory foam, offering orthopedic support for your canine companion.
- Four size and five color options
- Waterproof cover
- Made in the USA
Cost: $60 to $68
Thanks to the simple mattress shape, there are fewer weak points for dogs to destroy. It stands up to all but the heaviest diggers and chewers.
- Available in five sizes and 11 colors
- Orthopedic foam filling
- Machine washable cover
Cost: $99 to $279
Not only is this a rugged, durable option, it’s also designed to meet the needs of people whose dogs suffer from incontinence, thanks to the washable slip-off covers.
- Supportive five-inch orthopedic foam
- Bolstered edge
- Four sizes and two colors
Cost: $107 to $185
With a 1,800 denier rip-stop fabric cover, this bed is ideal for moderate chewers and diggers, though the most determined can still destroy it.
- Offers orthopedic support
- Machine washable