As conscientious puppy parents, we all want what is best for our pooches. And we all know that dogs need copious amounts of exercise, but sometimes we can’t give them enough. Sometimes we don’t have the time to run them around outside, lack the proper agility equipment, maybe we are hampered by inclement weather or even our own health can prevent us from playing with them or taking them for a long walk.
But just because we can’t take them for a run out, doesn’t mean they need to go without. Dog treadmills could help solve your pet exercise dilemma by providing your pup with an outlet for their energy. Dog treadmills work in much the same way as human treadmills do: a simple conveyor belt keeps your pup moving on the spot, allowing them to cover long distances, all from the comfort of your own home.
We reviewed dozens of dog treadmills to identify the best of the best. We identified dog treadmills that were the best quality and the most reliable on a budget. We compared their Amazon ratings, the quality of the materials used, the size of the machine plus a whole host of other factors, including motivational incentives such as treat baskets – the ultimate carrot and stick, to keep your pup moving forward.
The GoPet Treadwheel For Large Dogs came out on top because it is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, it doesn’t require any electricity to power it, so you don’t have to worry about leaving it plugged in and running when you’re not at home. But best of all, it can accommodate one large dog, two smaller ones or even three toy dogs simultaneously.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Best Dog Treadmills
|Best Overall||Gopet Treadwheel For Large Dogs||3.6|
|Runner Up||dogPACER LF 3.1 Dog Treadmill||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||SHELANDY Pet Treadmill||2.6|
|Best Small Dog Treadmill||Go Pet Petrun Pr700 Dog Treadmill For Toy Dogs||3.5|
|Best Large Dog Treadmill||GoPet Treadmill Large||N/A|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: GoPet Treadwheel For Large Dogs
The GoPet Treadwheel For Large Dogs was the clear winner in our review of the best dog treadmills, not least because it looked the trendiest, but because of its simplicity. You don’t have to worry about leaving this plugged in all day when you’re out of the house. This dog treadmill won’t burn through your electricity like the others as it is puppy-powered, and it is suitable for any size dog. Plus, because this treadmill is powered by your dog, it makes no noise when it’s running.
If you’re worried about the resistance – concerned it could be too easy for a big dog or too hard for a small dog to work, you can adjust the resistance setting to suit your pup’s fitness levels. This dog treadmill is also available in other sizes, should you wish to get one more suited to your dog’s size.
The GoPet Treadwheel features a cushioned, grippy durable matted surface that will protect your dog’s foot pads as they work out on the treadmill, ensuring your pooch stays healthy as they get in their daily exercise, regardless of their running speed.
GoPet Treadwheel For Large Dogs Key Features:
- Suitable for all sizes of dogs
- Easy delivery and installation
- Cushioned, durable matted surface
Our Runner Up Pick: dogPACER LF 3.1 Dog Treadmill
The dogPACER LF 3.1 Dog Treadmill is our clear runner up pick as it is half the price of the other dog treadmills available on the market, but unlike the other dog treadmills, where you might be required to buy one to suit the size of your dog, and if you own a larger dog you can expect to pay more for it, the dogPACER LF 3.1 dog treadmill is suitable for all dogs weighing from between 1 to 179 lb.
The LF 3.1 dogPACER treadmill has a running surface of more than 71” x 16.5”, and with a whisper-quiet motor, combined with its patented folding technology and customizable running programs, this is the budget dog treadmill your pup has been crying out for.
This dog treadmill comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame and a manufacturer’s warranty on parts and craftsmanship. Designed with careful precision, the dogPACER dog treadmill can hold any size of dog from toy to x-large breeds and with its patented folding technology it is extremely light and portable, meaning you can take it with you, wherever you go.
dogPACER LF 3.1 Dog Treadmill Key Features:
- Comes with various warranties
- Suitable for all sizes of dogs
- Light and portable
Best Budget Pick: SHELANDY Pet Treadmill
The SHELANDY Pet Treadmill is the winner of our best budget pick dog treadmill as it is suitable for dogs up to 25″ in length (not including the tail), has a running area the size of 40” by 17”, a running speed of 0.5 – 7.5 MPH, an adjustable incline of 5 – 9 degrees, and with a price tag of just $399.50, this is one of the cheapest dog treadmills available.
The SHELANDY pet treadmill has a harness that you clip your pup to, to keep them on the treadmill, but just in case you might be worried that you could accidentally leave your pup working out whilst you went out for the afternoon, the treadmill has an inbuilt safety system whereby it automatically switches off after 30 mins.
One other reason this dog treadmill is the winner in the best budget dog treadmill category, is because for its cheap price, it is suitable for both small and medium sized dogs to use.
SHELANDY Pet Treadmill Key Features:
- Suitable for small and medium sized dogs
- Comes with a harness to clip your dog onto
- Adjustable speed and incline depending on your pup’s fitness levels
Best Small Dog Treadmill: Go Pet Petrun Pr700 Dog Treadmill For Toy Dogs
The Go Pet Petrun Pr700 Dog Treadmill For Toy Dogs is our runner up dog treadmill of choice. This dog treadmill is suitable for toy breed dogs up to 44 lb, and the reduced size of the treadmill to accommodate a smaller dog, is reflected in its price. If you have a bigger dog you can still purchase this brand of treadmill as GoPet do this treadmill in a variety of sizes to suit any dog.
GoPet treadmills also come fitted with dolly wheels allowing for easy mobility of the treadmill, should you have to move it around. They also have a metal eyelet through which you can attach a toy to provide motivation for your pup to use the treadmill. The treadmill has push button controls allowing you to gradually increase and decrease the incline of the treadmill and increase and decrease the speed, depending on how much exercise you want your dog to get at any one time.
The Go Pet Petrun Pr700 Dog Treadmill For Toy Dogs also has a low access running platform allowing your dog to independently access the treadmill, and with a silent driving system it operates quietly so as not to disturb you, and not to scare your dog.
Go Pet Petrun Pr700 Dog Treadmill For Toy Dogs Key Features:
- Speed range of 1-8 mph
- Gradual start with remote control
- Low access running platform
- Suitable for dogs up to 44 lb (but available in bigger sizes for larger dogs)
Best Large Dog Treadmill: GoPet Treadmill Large
The GoPet Treadmill Large for large dogs is suitable for dogs weighing up to 137 lb. This dog treadmill has a speed variation between 1 – 10 MPH and comes with gradual start, remote control operation, incline adjust and enclosure features as standard.
The GoPet Treadmill has dolly wheels that provide easy mobility should you need to move the treadmill around your home and a metal eyelet on the front bar of the treadmill which a toy or a treat can be attached to encourage your pup to keep moving along the conveyer belt. The push control buttons allow you gradually increase and decrease the speed as required.
Whilst we have selected the GoPet Treadmill for our winner of the best large dog treadmill category, GoPet have a selection of pet treadmills suitable for breeds ranging from toy to giant dogs.
GoPet Treadmill Large Key Features:
- Suitable for dogs up to 137 lb
- Speed variation between 1 – 10 MPH
- Push control buttons to adjust speed
Who Should Buy a Dog Treadmill
The idea of purchasing a treadmill for your pup might sound like an expensive waste of time, but if you know that you’re going to be out all day and not able to give your dog the exercise they sorely require, a dog treadmill could be the best investment you make to keep your furry friend happy. If you crate train your dog, he’ll need lots of exercise when you’re home to stay fit and healthy. (If you’re in the market for a dog crate, check out our review of the best large dog crates.)
Just like a human treadmill, a dog treadmill works by keeping your dog moving along a continuous conveyor belt, without ever having to leave your home. They’re ideal if you live in a location that is frequently hit with bad weather, if you suffer with your own health and you can’t walk your pup for hours each day, if you work long hours and don’t have the time to give your dog a run out to burn off his excess energy, or if your dog suffers with arthritis or is recovering from an operation requiring him to only partake in gentle exercise. It’s a good solution for apartment dwellers who have the space indoors for a dog treadmill but not a lot of convenient outdoor space for exercise. Even if you have a wireless dog fence, it may not be practical to allow your pup to spend hours of time outdoors (especially on particularly hot or cold days), and your yard may not be large enough for a really good run.
A dog treadmill is essentially the best way to give your dog a regular dose of decent exercise without the hassle of having to leave your home, nor pound your way over miles of terrain.
Important Features to Consider
A dog treadmill should give your pup the exercise they need, without ever having to leave the comfort of your home. However, like all things in life, there are few important considerations when selecting a dog treadmill:
- Never leave your dog unsupervised. This is the most important point when purchasing your dog treadmill – you should never leave a dog unsupervised on a dog treadmill. Your pet needs to be supervised and monitored when they’re exercising on the treadmill at all times, because they could easily fall from the track. The only caveat to this rule would be if you have trained your pup to use a dog treadwheel and only then if they are completely comfortable using it.
- Not all dogs will like using a dog treadmill. Not all dogs will enjoy pounding the treadmill as opposed to the pavement. This is something you will need to seriously consider before parting with any cash for a dog treadmill, because they don’t come cheap, not even the budget ones. Your pup could have mental health issues, or just be of a nervous disposition, in which case a dog treadmill could frighten them.
- Your dog could still get injured. If you’re purchasing a dog treadmill as a precaution against your dog getting injured, you should note that dogs can still get injured whilst using a treadmill. They can easily fall off the track if they aren’t supervised, and although the pressure on their joints is greatly reduced when exercising on the dog treadmill, they could still succumb to sprains or soft tissue injuries through misuse of the equipment.
- Be careful if your dog has long hair. Dogs with long hair should have their hair tied up and kept free of the moving parts. If dog hair is allowed to flow freely it could become trapped in the treads or the motor and cause your pup serious harm.
- Not all human treadmills are suitable for dogs. We include a few human treadmills that may be suitable for use by some dogs in our Other Dog Treadmills We Reviewed section later in this guide, so it is worth pointing out that not all human treadmills are suitable for use by dogs. There are many reasons why this is; however, most human treadmills don’t go slow enough for your pet to run comfortably, plus some have shorter track surfaces than others, meaning they might not be long enough for your dog’s gait. Dog specific treadmills will usually have a longer track, slower speeds and side rails to prevent your pup from toppling over the side. If you plan to purchase a human treadmill for your dog, be sure to carefully evaluate the features to make sure it’s appropriate and safe for your dog to use, and never leave your dog unsupervised around any treadmill – designed for humans or dogs. Most pet health experts recommend using treadmills designed specifically for dogs due to the dog-specific safety features.
- Your dog won’t automatically know how to use the treadmill. Make sure you train your pup adequately to be able to use the treadmill safely.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog treadmill and how does it work?
There are two types of dog treadmills: a treadmill powered by electricity and a treadmill powered by the dog itself.
A dog treadmill powered by electricity works in the same way as a human treadmill in that a conveyor belt moves in a continuous circular motion and the dog has to keep moving forward or risk being flung off the back of the treadmill. This treadmill has the option to adjust the speed, incline and distance you want your dog to travel.
A dog powered treadmill is driven by your dog’s own movement and so doesn’t have any controls, you can get tread-wheels which are essentially a giant hamster wheel (our top pick), or you can get a simple treadmill that is operated by your dog’s forward motion.
Is it okay to put a dog on a treadmill?
Most dogs are able to workout on a treadmill, in fact larger breeds or dogs that have higher energy levels will thrive on the ability to have extra exercise. Just remember never leave a dog unsupervised on a treadmill and keep long hair away from any moving parts to avoid injury.
How long should a dog be on a treadmill?
Some pups will keep on running until exhaustion, so if you know your pup is one of those, keep an eye on them and take them off the treadmill before they collapse. If your dog is new to running on a treadmill, work them up to it. Don’t push workout sessions beyond 30 minutes, but you can do up to two sessions a day, depending on your dog’s breed, stamina and fitness levels.
How do I build my dog’s stamina?
The answer to this is the same as building up your own stamina – start slowly, and don’t rush into it. Begin with 30 sec sessions and build up to 5 – 10 minute sessions. From there, work up to 20 – 30 minute sessions through a combination of walking and trotting. If you want to, you can now increase the incline to give your dog a more challenging workout, which will build up their stamina quicker.
Other Dog Treadmills We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog treadmills. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog treadmills list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Large Dog Treadmills
This dog treadmill is suitable for large dogs. With covered side rails, your dog won’t get distracted when they’re exercising.
- Maximum weight of dog: 110 kg = 242 lb
- Able to monitor time, distance and calories
- Emergency stop mechanism with leash clipping system
This dog treadmill by Dog Runner is suitable for large to XL dogs, so if you have one of the big breeds that needs more exercise, this could be the dog treadmill for you.
- Maximum weight of dog: 150 kg = 330 lb
- Speed variation: 0.62mph – 7.5mph
- Inclination: 0-15%
This treadmill is perfect if your dog is one of the larger breeds.
- Can hold up to 264 lb
- Adjustable speed
- Tall side rails to prevent your pup from falling off
This Large DogTread™ dog treadmill is appropriate for dogs weighing up to 150 lb. This treadmill is also available for small and medium sized dogs.
- Programmable time and distance
- Adjustable speed: 0.5 to 7.0 MPH
- Incline options: 0% and 7%
This dog treadmill is suitable for medium to large dogs from 100 lb to 225 lb, but can also be used for smaller dogs too, if you remove the sides.
- For breeds from 100-225 lb
- Can also be used for smaller dogs by removing the sides
- The long deck and heavy duty motor is especially made for large breeds
Cost: Call for price
This dog treadmill for medium sized dogs is suitable for dogs 55 – 60 lb, however there are other sizes available for small and large dogs.
- Whisper-quiet motor
- Remote control operated
- Natural low-profile platform
Small Dog Treadmills
This is the best transportable dog treadmill for small dogs thanks to its folding technology. Capable of supporting dogs up to 44 lb, this foldable dog treadmill can be taken with you wherever you go.
- Suitable for dogs up to 44 lb
- Foldable for easy transportation
- Cushioned, durable matted surface
This treadmill is ideal for small to medium dogs, capable of supporting dogs up to 137 lbs.
- Adjustable speed that allows for a casual walk or spirited run
- Suitable for dogs up to 137 lb
- Metal eyelet for toy to be attached to front of treadmill to inspire dogs to run
This small dog treadmill by DogTread is perfect for tiny pups.
- Appropriate for dogs weighing up to 30 lb
- Adjustable speed: 0.3 to 5.0 MPH
- Incline options: 0% and 14%
This JogADog treadmill is available in a variety of sizes, from small to X-large and has the recognition of being the first motorized treadmill designed and manufactured explicitly for dogs.
- The treadmill is backed by lifetime warranty
- Easiest treadmill for dogs to learn available
- Proudly made in the U.S.A.
Although the c350 steel pet treadmill series is designed for small dogs, it has a weight capacity up to 100 kg.
- Shipped from China, so expect a large shipping fee and a lengthy delivery time
- Speed: 0.8 – 12 KPH
- LED display shows: speed, time, distance, calories, up and down
Folding Human Treadmills
This folding treadmill may be designed for humans, but there is no reason why you can’t exercise your dog on it too.
- Large 16″ x 50″ walking/running surface
- Speed range 0.5 -10 MPH allows for users of all fitness levels
- 3 manual incline settings allow for maximum variety
This treadmill designed for humans would be perfect for exercising your pup on.
- Space saver design – this treadmill can fold up
- Two-position incline for a more challenging workout
- Comfortable cushioning to protect paws
This simple, folding treadmill designed for human use, is capable of being used to exercise your pup on.
- Foldable and transportable
- Max capacity: 220 lb
- Speed: 0.6-7.5Mph
Under Desk Human Treadmills
This smart, slim and easily transportable under desk walking treadmill would work perfectly for exercising your dog.
- Arrives fully assembled
- Ultra quiet motor that can withstand up to 220 lb
- Speed range of 0.5 to 3.7mph
This under desk treadmill would work well for exercising your pup on. It may be minimalist in design, but it provides the same feeling as working out on a larger treadmill.
- Speed: 0.5 – 3.7 MPH in 0.1 MPH increments
- Wide tread belt: 47″L x 18″W
- Max user weight : 220 lb
This treadmill is easy on the eyes as well as on your mind. Although it is designed for human use, it would be ideal for walking your pup on too.
- No maximum hours of usage per day
- Warranty: 2 years for any parts and labor and 20 years for the frame
- High-quality, ultra quiet motor
This super stylish treadmill maybe designed to help you run at home, but it will also help your dog run at home too.
- You can monitor real-time data for each exercise
- Foldable design
- Speed range from 0.5 to 8.5MPH
This treadmill is designed for seniors, however it is perfect for your pup to use too. With its wide conveyor belt and sturdy frame, it is a great human treadmill that is suitable for dogs.
- Emergency stop button
- Easy to read LED screen indicates time, speed, calorie, distance
- Frames are made of reinforced steel to ensure the durability
Walking on the ProGearHCXL 4000 could be one of the easiest and most effective ways to help your dog achieve a regimen of regular exercise.
- Tested up to 400 lb of user weight
- Extra Wide 20″ treadmill belt
- Jog at 4 mph for a vigorous workout