As pet parents the responsibility of where our pups sleep should never be taken lightly, because sometimes what your dog needs and what they want are two very different things. If your pup is young or has hyperactive tendencies, sometimes you need somewhere to pop them for a little quiet time. But that isn’t to say that they are in time out. Far from it.
A dog crate is quite possibly the best place for all pups, regardless of their age or energy levels, to get their down time. Dogs need somewhere cool, calm and relaxing to chill out; somewhere they aren’t going to be disturbed, but doesn’t take them out of the bustle of everyday life. Because we all know dogs like to be where we are. But the regular metal dog crates can be incredibly unsightly and one dimensional. Which is why we have searched out the best dog crate furniture – furniture with a dual role: to house your pup, and be a useful piece of furniture for you.
We have compiled our list of the top 25 dog crate furniture based on Amazon reviews, the quality of material used, the cost of the dog crate, as well as taking into account other features such as color of materials and practical use around the house.
There was one dog crate that stood out from the others. The Petsfit Indoor Wooden Dog House with Wire Door makes a great end table or attractive side table for you while offering a cozy house for your pet. It’s versatile, too, thanks to its resistance to wind and rain plus a stylish design that looks great inside your home.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Crate Furniture
|Best Overall||Petsfit Indoor Wooden Dog House with Wire Door||4.0|
|Runner Up||Merry Pet 2-in-1 Configurable Pet Crate||4.3|
|Best Budget Buy||New Age Pet ecoFlex Pet Crate/End Table||3.3|
|Best Dog Crate End Table||Newport Dog Crate End Table||3.7|
|Best Wicker Dog Crate Furniture||Solvit PetSafe Mr. Herzher's Indoor Pet Home||4.2|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Petsfit Indoor Wooden Dog House with Wire Door
The Petsfit Indoor Wooden Dog House with Wire Door comes in as our top pick. This little wooden dog house is only suitable for small dogs, but that’s OK because great things come in small packages.
This natural cedar wooden dog house with its gray color and white windows would match in with any interior decor. Painted from harmless paint, this dog house is suitable for use both inside or outside your home, as it is able to withstand wind or rain, providing a safe, constant space for your pup to relax in. This dog crate is incredibly portable, meaning you can take it with you should you wish to move your pup around, and is very easy to set up too, assembled in just a few simple steps.
Petsfit Indoor Wooden Dog House with Wire Door Key Features:
- Really cute design
- Suitable for use both indoors and outdoors
- Light and portable for easy transportation
Our Runner Up Pick: Merry Pet 2-in-1 Configurable Pet Crate
The Merry Pet 2-in-1 Configurable Pet Crate is a great choice for both you and your pup. Not only is it a stylish dog crate-cum-end table, but this incredibly versatile dog crate also has a third function: transforming into a very chic dog gate.
The crate with its solid wood veneer and metal bars also has a removable plastic tray that is designed to protect the floor beneath from unsightly claw marks, as well as to catch any accidents.
Each panel of the dog crate when it’s turned into the gate can be removed separately to shorten the gate, should you wish to just block off a corridor. It truly is a versatile piece of furniture. But best of all, the reviewers agreed that with its sturdy construction and aesthetic design, this dog crate would make a wonderful addition to any home.
Merry Pet 2-in-1 Configurable Pet Crate Key Features:
- Not suitable for aggressive chewers
- Easily assembled without the need for tools
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Convertible into a gate
Best Budget Pick: New Age Pet EcoFlex Pet Crate/End Table
Our budget pick is the New Age Pet EcoFlex Pet Crate/End Table. With almost 500 positive reviews and a price of just $87, this dog crate doubles up beautifully as the perfect end table. Made of environment flex, a non toxic recycled plastic/wood polymer, this dog crate is not just good for the environment, but good for your wallet too.
This dog crate is going to be with you for a long time, as the composite material it is manufactured from won’t split, warp or wear, and the spindles on the sides and the door are made from rustproof stainless steel, meaning that an investment in this dog crate will be an investment that lasts as long as you have dogs.
Ideal for use in the kitchen, living room or bedroom, this dog crate is the perfect addition to your home. Useful as an end table or night stand, and with a stainless steel latch, your pet will be secure wherever they sleep.
New Age Pet ecoFlex Pet Crate/End Table Key Features:
- Made from durable materials that aren’t toxic to the environment or your pet
- Built to last – suitable for chewers
- Easy, no tool assembly
- Fits dogs up to 20 lb (but also available in sizes medium, large and X-large)
Best Dog Crate End Table: Newport Dog Crate End Table
If you’re investing in a dog crate, you don’t want an unsightly metal box, not only is it cold to look at, it isn’t a cosy space for your pup to relax in. You want your dog crate to give your home a luxurious feel, not a clinical feel, and the Newport Dog Crate End Table is the perfect addition to any room in your house.
This large size dog crate is the stylish end table pet crate your sofa has been crying out for. Sturdy and well made, this end table is well ventilated to maximize your pup’s comfort and has room enough for a large dog to stretch out. It needs some assembly, but it is easily done and the deluxe design makes this space saving crate a great place for your dog to nap, plus with a secure door latch, you know they’re not going anywhere.
If you’re looking for a dog crate that doubles as an end table, you’ve found a great one here.
Newport Dog Crate End Table Key Features:
- Looks like an end table
- Perfect for larger dogs
- Easy assembly with minimal fuss
- Suitable for any room in your home
Best Wicker Dog Crate Furniture: Solvit PetSafe Mr. Herzher’s Indoor Pet Home
Solvit PetSafe Mr. Herzher’s Indoor Pet Home is the wicker dog crate you’ve been looking for. This wicker dog crate looks like it should be a magazine rack, or a quirky end table, its attractive design looks fantastic in almost any setting.
The wicker dog crate is ideal for medium sized dogs, up to 50 lb, and as a multi functional dog crate, this wicker creation could be either a crate for your dog to curl up in, thanks to its secure door, or as a den that they can come and go from. The spring loaded door swings both ways and can either be shut and latched into place behind your dog keeping them in, or if you want to keep the door open, simply attach it to the wicker wall and out of the way.
Best of all, this wicker dog crate is available in a variety of sizes to fit dogs ranging from small to X-large.
Solvit PetSafe Mr. Herzher’s Indoor Pet Home Key Features:
- Non slip feet to protect your floors from scuffs and marks
- Quick and easy to assemble with tools included
- The wicker material won’t absorb fluids or odors
- Easily cleaned with just soap and water
Who Should Buy Dog Crate Furniture
If you’re a dog owner and you worry about your dog getting separation anxiety, or if you have a puppy or hyper active dog that you need to contain occasionally, a dog crate is the investment you need to make. A dog crate should be top of the list for anyone thinking of getting a puppy, because whether you’re going to use it full time or part time, it will fast become invaluable.
But dog crates are typically either stainless steel contraptions that are ugly and cold but useful to deter persistent chewers from breaking out, or they are cloth contraptions that are light and portable, but not teeth-friendly. And let’s be honest, we want the dog to fit into our family home and feel like it belongs, and nothing says unwelcome quite like a steel metal cage.
Dog crate furniture is the perfect hybrid of dog crate and useful furniture. Doubling up as an end table, a bench in the kitchen or even a night stand in the bedroom, dog crate furniture is not only stylish, but functional too. So before you make a decision as to which dog crate furniture you are going to purchase, there are some important things to consider.
If you’re looking for a simple dog crate for an area such as your garage where appearance doesn’t matter, check out our review of the best large dog crates for the best options.
Important Features to Consider
Dog crate furniture should do at least two things: house your pup and work as a piece of furniture in its own right. Here’s what you should consider when searching for the best furniture-style crate for your dog:
- Size. Your dog is more than likely going to spend a considerable amount of time in the dog crate, so you need to ensure it is the right size for them. You don’t want it too big as it can make your dog feel uncomfortable rattling around in a large space, plus you don’t want to run the risk of your dog doing its business in there, if there is room to. You also don’t want it too small, who wants to feel cramped? No one, especially not your pup.
- Entrance. Ensure the opening to the crate is wide and tall enough for you pup or you’ll have a hard time convincing them to squeeze through the tight gap into their den.
- Partition sections of the crate. Rather than investing in several smaller crates as your dogs grows, consider investing in a big one for when they’re fully grown and partition off sections of the crate instead, suitable for the size of your dog now, increasing the amount of crate they have access to as they grow. Not only will this prevent your dog from feeling inadequate in a large crate, but it will be kinder to your wallet as you won’t need to buy a new crate every time they outgrow the last one.
- Ventilation. Crates with solid sides should be avoided. Your dog, just like us, needs air to breath. If the air can’t flow, the crate is fast going to become stuffy and uncomfortable and unsafe for your dog.
- Durability. If your dog has a passion for chowing down on everything they’re not supposed to, carefully consider the material the crate is made from. You don’t want to bring anything harmful into your home that your dog could ingest if they decide to eat it.
- Removable tray. If you’re still house training your pup or if your dog is prone to accidents, it is worthwhile investing in a removable tray to line the dog crate with, as it will make cleaning easier for you.
- Aesthetics. You are investing in dog crate furniture that doubles up as furniture for you, so you want the crate to be stylish and elegant. There are so many styles and designs, made from varying materials including wood, wicker and metal that you can choose from, so don’t rush into buying the first one you see.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is dog crate furniture?
Unlike regular dog crates, dog crate furniture has a dual purpose: to house your pet and to provide a functional piece of furniture in your home that you can use, such as an end table, a night stand or even a bench in the kitchen. They most often come in neutral colors or in common colors to compliment any home color scheme.
How long is it okay for a dog to stay in a crate?
If you have a new puppy, the answer to this question is: the length of time your puppy can hold its bladder for. Because apart from needing to go to the toilet, a dog can stay in a crate for as long as is necessary. That is of course within reason; we wouldn’t want to spend all day in a crate, and even the most stoic dog will eventually bore of being shut up.
As a rule, you don’t want to crate a 4 month old puppy for longer than 3-5 hours (and that’s after you’ve worked up to it, never just shut a puppy in a crate if they’re not used to it, you will create a whole new world of pain for yourself – and your pup – if you do). 6 month old puppies can typically last up to 6 hours and and adult dogs up to 8 – 9 hours.
When should I crate my dog?
Crating your dog should never be a punishment for the dog. A crate should only ever be used as a bed or a special house for your dog, meaning it is someone they want to go, somewhere they feel safe and secure. Not somewhere they go when they’re in trouble.
Crate training, when done correctly, is the best option for both you and your pet, if you have to leave them alone at home for long periods of time. Through positive reinforcement, your pup will come to love the crate as much as they do any bed. It just requires a little time and training.
- If you’re going to go down the crating route, you will probably want to crate your dog when they need a little time out, for example if you have young children in the house, as your dog will need a break from them as much as you do.
- You should crate your dog if you are away at work all day and your dog gets stressed roaming around a big empty house by themselves, or if you know they’ll get up to mischief if left unsupervised.
- Crate your dog if you’re house training your pup, as it is a great way to prevent your dog from messing inside. All dogs hate to mess where they sleep, so they’ll quickly learn, as long as they know they aren’t getting left in the crate all day, that they can hold it in, and they’ll be let out to empty their bladder every few hours.
What age do you stop crating a dog?
A dog crate is the ideal way to house train your dog, plus it provides a safe and secure place for your dog to settle down in when they want to have a nap. But at some point, your dog might not need to be crated any more, in which case, you could consider stopping using the crate and opt for an outside kennel.
When to stop crating your dog will typically depend on their age, breed and your schedule. If you’re going to be at home all day, the chances are your pup doesn’t need to be shut away in their crate. If it becomes apparent your dog doesn’t have separation anxiety when you leave them, you could also stop crate training them, or when they outgrow chewing too and can recognise the difference between your possessions and their toys.
Other Dog Crate Furniture We Reviewed
We looked over 20 other dog furniture-style crates. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog crate furniture list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Wood Dog Crate Furniture
An end table design gives this dog crate a stylish feel that will accentuate any room it is in.
- Dual doors serve as a lockable gate for your peace of mind
- End table style top provides an additional storage space
- Spacious interior for maximum comfort
- Solid wood construction for increased durability and longevity
Well-ventilated for maximum comfort, this end table dog crate is deluxe in design and perfect for medium-sized dogs.
- Easy to assemble with proper tools provided
- Features a door latch to secure your pet for lengthy stays
- Available in a gorgeous dark brown or black color
A solid maple wood end table dog crate that is as stylish as it is practical.
- Economical to ship because of its unique assembly hardware
- Available in a wide choice of stain colors
- Very easy to assemble
This wooden pet crate end table is ideal for housing smaller sized dogs – the perfect addition to any living room or bedroom.
- Great for smaller sized dogs
- Well ventilated for your pet’s comfort
- Door latch to secure your pet
- Easy to assemble with the tool provided
This beautiful white wooden pet crate is also a gorgeous end table that would work well in any room. Its understated elegance merely enhancing its functionality.
- Beautifully made, solid wood dog crate
- Suitable for small dogs only
- Easy to assemble
Our budget pick is the smaller version of this crate. This eco wood end table will house your large dog comfortably.
- Made from ecoFLEX
- This crate will not warp, crack, split, resists moisture and is maintenance free
- Large crate has two door latches
This double doored end table is the perfect house for your extra large dog.
- End table design gives this pet crate a stylish feel
- Dual doors serve as a lockable gate for your peace of mind
- Spacious interior for maximum comfort
- End table style top provides additional storage space
This oak wooden dog crate is perfect for medium sized pets. Chew proof, spacious and relaxing, this crate has it all, and it looks great too.
- Made from sturdy maple/oak hardwood that can resist chewing and scratching
- Open sides allow for superior light, ventilation, and visibility
- Optional lift up top
This simple design is pure elegance.. A safe and comfortable place for your dog to nap, and a stylish end table for your living room.
- Decorative oil-rubbed bronze latch adds style and easily locks into place
- Protective pads keep floors safe from scratching
- Assembles in minutes
An Amazon best seller that double perfectly as your dog’s crate and your end table.
- Available in a variety of finishes to suit your decor
- Available in a range of sizes to accommodate your pup
- Lockable gate for your peace of mind
This pet crate is a wooden construction with espresso finish. The bottom of the crate is elevated to allow for air flow.
- Made of wood with espresso finish
- Decorative bars provide airflow
- Metallic lock on the door
- The bottom is elevated
Made of 100% solid wood – no use of particle board or MDF, this white pet crate is a beautiful way to house your dog.
- Wrap around swing door, that closes completely onto the side of the crate, and can be set up on either side
- Comes with four floor protectors to prevent scratches to your floor and to lift the crate off the floor
- Decorative, steel door latch
The Lakeside Collection end table is an appealing alternative to a traditional metal cage. It looks like a piece of wooden furniture, but is your dog’s crate.
- Has a sleek exterior that complements any decor
- Has an interior that provides ample ventilation
- Manufactured from MDF
Wood and Metal Dog Crate Furniture
This multi purpose dog crate is is tough, durable and perfectly designed to work in any room of your house.
- For pets up to 20 lb
- Made from ecoFLEX tough wood – a polymer composite material
- Easy 10 minute, no-tool assembly
This solid wood dog crate would work equally well in your office or your home.
- Locking door with removable raised panel if you want to allow easy access for your pet.
- Solid wood and wood veneer
- Scratch and water resistant melamine floor
This beautiful dog crate is a wonderful hybrid of metal dog crate with a wooden frame.
- Open sides for maximum viewing
- Stylish design
- Neutral color to blend in with all decor
A chew proof dog crate that is as practical as it is luxurious.
- Made from authentic oak wood
- Dog crate and end table at the same time
- Chew-proof wire cage
- Easy to assemble and dismantle
Stylish and multifunctional, this wooden dog crate takes its inspiration from mid-century design.
- Doubles as a side table, end table, or night stand
- Sleek wood veneer with a beautiful lacquered finish gives the crate an upscale appearance
- Secure locks that can open with a single touch
This handsome indoor dog kennel is handmade to order.
- Bespoke design to suit your home
- Available in whatever size you require
- Rustic knotty, grainy pine wood
- The Ritz-Kennelton for your pup
Wicker Dog Crate Furniture
A wicker dog crate that provides your dog with a comfortable secure den, as well as blending seamlessly in with your home furnishings.
- Rhino-wicker looks great, provides ventilation, and won’t absorb fluids or odors
- The two-way, spring-loaded door swings both ways
- No-slip feet protect your floors