Dogs need foot protection just like people do. You probably wouldn’t walk on hot pavement or go trail running barefoot, and going out without the right footgear can be uncomfortable for your dog, too. That’s why it’s essential to find the right dog boots for your pup. Dog boots protect your dog’s feet from heat, cold, rain, and safety hazards like broken glass. They can also help prevent your dog from slipping and sliding on slick surfaces like tile floors — something that’s especially important for older or arthritic dogs.
We reviewed dozens of dog boots to identify the best of the best. A few of the most important features we looked for include skid-proof soles, protection from heat and cold, secure fastenings, and breathability. After reviewing all the dog boots available on Amazon, we rounded up 25 of the best options for dog owners and their furry friends.
There are tons of great dog boots out there, but one option – the My Busy Dog Water Resistant Dog Shoes – really stood out as the best. These dog boots are an all-around excellent option for use in all types of weather. They provide good protection from the elements, and they’re equally suitable for indoor use. These dog boots come in a wide range of sizes, so you’ll likely be able to find a pair that fits your pet perfectly.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Boots
|Best Overall||My Busy Dog Water Resistant Dog Shoes||4.1|
|Runner Up||Ruffwear Grip Trex All-Terrain Paw Wear for Dogs||4.1|
|Best Budget Buy||EXPAWLORER Waterproof Dog Boots||4|
|Best Rain Boots||OMEM Puppy Waterproof Rain Boots||5.0|
|Best Dog Boots for Heat||Union Rich Pet Boots||4.0|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: My Busy Dog Water Resistant Dog Shoes
You can’t go wrong choosing the My Busy Dog Water Resistant Dog Shoes to protect your pup’s paws. These sturdy dog boots are made to stand up to all kinds of weather conditions, from rain to snow to summer heat. The soles of these boots are waterproof, and the tread on the bottom improves your dog’s traction on smooth surfaces. The soles are sewn to the water-resistant fabric upper parts of the boots, not glued like many other dog boots are, which means that these boots will last a long time with proper care.
The My Busy Dog Water Resistant Dog Shoes come in eight different sizes, so no matter what kind of dog you have, chances are good that these boots will work for him. The smallest size fits dogs with paws 1.5 inches in width, while the largest size is designed for paws that are 3.25 inches across. You’ve also got the option to choose from a few different colors — black, orange, red, and green.
These boots feature a split seam, which makes it easy to put them on your dog. Two Velcro straps hold the boots securely in place, preventing your dog from losing them or pulling them off. The straps are reflective, which helps you spot your dog at night.
My Busy Dog Water Resistant Dog Shoes Key Features:
- Fits dogs with paws 1.5″ across to 3.25″ across
- Waterproof and skid-proof sole
- Water-resistant fabric
- Adjustable Velcro straps for a secure fit
- Reflective accents for nighttime safety
- Split seam construction makes it easy to put these boots on your dog
- Hand washable
- Comes in sets of 4
Our Runner Up Pick: Ruffwear Grip Trex All-Terrain Paw Wear for Dogs
A second standout in our search for the best dog boots is the Ruffwear Grip Trex All-Terrain Paw Wear for Dogs. These boots are a little more expensive than many of the other picks on this list, but — as with many other things — you get what you pay for. With their tough but flexible Vibram soles, sturdy hook-and-loop closures, and breathable mesh fabric, these durable boots are perfect for active dogs. If you’re a nature lover and frequently take your dog hiking, biking, or running, these boots will protect your furry friend’s paws on all types of terrain.
The upper part of these dog boots is finely-woven mesh, which keeps your dog’s paws cool in warm weather. The boots’ hook-and-loop fastening mechanism prevents them from coming off your dog’s paws, even during vigorous activity. Gussets make it easy to put the boots on your dog and take them off again.
These boots come in a variety of sizes. If your dog’s paws measure anywhere from 1.5 inches to 3.25 inches at the widest part, you’ll be able to find a set of Ruffwear Grip Trex All-Terrain Paw Wear for Dogs that fits correctly. You can opt to buy these boots in sets of either two or four, since many dogs’ front and back paws are slightly different sizes. The price listed above is for a set of two boots.
Ruffwear Grip Trex All-Terrain Paw Wear for Dogs Key Features:
- Fits dogs with paws 1.5″ across to 3.25″ across
- Durable Vibram soles won’t mark your floors
- Breathable mesh fabric is ideal for hot weather
- Hook-and-loop closure keeps boots securely on
- Gussets make it easy to put boots on your dog
- Machine washable on gentle cycle
- Comes in sets of 2 or 4
Best Budget Pick: EXPAWLORER Waterproof Dog Boots
You can get your dog a great set of boots, even if you’re on a budget. Case in point: the EXPAWLORER Waterproof Dog Boots, which will set you back just $17 for a size 4. These boots do everything you’d expect from a more expensive set of dog boots. They’re also made to last, so a one-time investment will provide years of improved walks for your dog.
The sturdy but flexible soles of these boots are grooved for traction and shaped to provide stability, which makes them perfect for both indoor and outdoor use. A simple gusset-and-Velcro system makes it easy to put these boots on your dog and secure them firmly. The Velcro straps also have reflective accents on them, which make it easier to keep track of your dog if he’s running around at night.
These boots come in five different sizes. The smallest, size 4, fits dogs with paws 2 inches wide and 2.36 inches long. The largest, size 8, is made for dogs with paws 2.8 inches wide and 3.16 inches long.
EXPAWLORER Waterproof Dog Boots Key Features:
- Fits dogs with paws 2″ across to 2.8″ across
- Grooved soles for traction
- Heat-resistant soles
- Easy to put on and take off
- Adjustable velcro straps
- Reflective accents for nighttime walks
- Comes in three different color options — orange, red, and black
- Comes in sets of 4
Best Dog Rain Boots: OMEM Puppy Waterproof Rain Boots
Keep your dog’s paws dry in wet weather with the OMEM Puppy Waterproof Rain Boots.
If you live in a rainy area, your dog (and your floors) will thank you for buying the OMEM Puppy Waterproof Rain Boots. These waterproof boots keep your dog’s paws dry and comfortable even on wet or muddy terrain. No more waiting for sunny days to go on long walks with your furry friend!
These dog boots are made from waterproof materials to a non-slip sole. They’re ideal for most wet outdoor conditions. The manufacturer notes you shouldn’t let your dog walk through deep standing water in these boots, though, because water may seep through the holes where the fabric is stitched to the sole.
The OMEM Puppy Waterproof Rain Boots are lined with a soft and waterproof material, making them a perfect pick for rainy weather. These boots may not be the best choice for everyday use if you live in a hot climate, though. Since they are waterproof, they aren’t as breathable as many of the other options on this list, and your dog’s paws may get uncomfortably warm after wearing them for a while in hot weather, but they keep your dog’s paws dry.
These boots are available in sizes XXS through XXL and they come in yellow, red, blue, and black.
OMEM Puppy Waterproof Rain Boots Key Features:
- Waterproof soles and fabric uppers
- Adjustable knot design
- Made of soft and non-toxic cloth
- Hand washable
- Ideal for heavy rain use
- Comes in sets of 4
Best Dog Boots for Heat: Union Rich Pet Boots
The pads of a dog’s paws are more delicate than many people realize. Walking on hot pavement can be painful for your dog, and it can even cause burns if temperatures get high enough. Protective gear like these Union Rich Pet Boots can help your dog stay cool and comfortable during all your summertime walks.
These boots have tough, heatproof soles with textured tread to prevent skidding. The toes are reinforced, and the boots are sewn together rather than glued. The split seam opening and adjustable straps make it a cinch to get these boots onto your dog’s paws, even if your dog isn’t used to wearing them. While the Union Rich Pet Boots are ideal for heat, they can also be used to protect your dog’s paws from snow and salt in the winter.
These boots are made to fit medium-sized to large dogs. The smallest size fits dogs that weigh 30 to 42 pounds and have paws 1.9 inches across. The largest fits dogs that weigh up to 88 pounds and have 2.9-inch-wide paws.
Union Rich Pet Boots Key Features:
- Fits dogs with paws 1.9″ across to 2.9″ across
- Fastens tightly with adjustable straps and nylon buckles
- Waterproof, heatproof, and skid-proof soles
- Reinforced toe for durability
- Hand washable
- Comes in sets of 4
Who Should Buy Dog Boots
Dog boots should be a staple item for every dog owner (don’t forget to include your flea collar and pet poop scooper!). There are times when it just isn’t wise to take your dog outside without protective footgear. For instance, salt can irritate the pads of your dog’s paws in the winter, and the scorching heat of summer can cause burns. Sharp objects or gravel on the ground can also injure a dog’s paws. Even if your dog doesn’t wear his boots all the time, it’s a good idea to keep a set on hand for times when they might be necessary.
Skid-proof boots can also help your dog walk more easily on different types of surfaces. Many older or arthritic dogs have trouble standing up and maintaining their balance on smooth floors, for instance. If your dog isn’t quite as spry as he used to be, buying some boots with soles designed for traction can make a big positive difference in his ability to get around.
Having your dog wear boots can be beneficial for you as a pet owner, too. When it’s wet or muddy out, put shoes on your dog before he goes outside and take them off when he comes back in — paw prints all over a freshly cleaned floor will be a thing of the past. Dog boots can also protect hardwood floors from nail marks.
Important Features to Consider
A set of dog boots should protect your dog’s paws from injuries and the elements, stay on securely, and remain comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. Here are a few things you should take into consideration when selecting a set of dog boots.
- Durability. Are the dog boots you’re considering made to last? Look for tough rubber soles, high-quality fabric, and stitched seams if you want the boots you choose to provide years of protection for your dog’s paws. Cheaper boots may be a good way to test the waters and get your dog used to wearing footgear, but they’ll need to be replaced more quickly.
- Water resistance. If you want to be able to take your dog for walks on rainy or snowy days, you’ll need to look for water-resistant or waterproof boots. Almost all dog boot soles are made from waterproof rubber or plastic, so check the upper fabric part of the boots to see whether it will keep water out.
- Heat resistance. If you live in an area with hot summers, you’ll want to protect your dog’s paws from surfaces that could burn them. Most dog boots have soles thick enough to do this, but it’s always a good idea to check before buying. It’s also important to look for boots that are breathable, so your dog’s paws won’t get too hot inside the boots.
- Insulation. Want to make sure your dog can stay active all winter? Lined or insulated boots are a must when there’s snow on the ground. A soft lining can also help prevent chafing if your dog wears his boots frequently.
- Fit. Finding the right fit is crucial, so be sure to measure your dog’s paws and read sizing charts carefully. It’s better to choose boots that are a little too large than a little too small. The boots you choose should have an adjustable fastening mechanism so you can get a snug fit.
- Ease of use. You don’t want to fight with your dog to get boots on his feet, so look for a set that’s easy to put on and take off. Most dog boots are constructed with split seams or gussets for this reason.
- Reflective accents. If you want to be able to spot your dog easily in the dark, find a pair of boots that have reflective stripes or other accents on them. Many dog boots have reflective Velcro straps.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are dog boots used for?
Dog boots are used to protect a dog’s paws from snow, heat, mud, and injuries. They can also be used to help dogs with mobility problems stay active and walk on slippery surfaces more easily.
What size boots does my dog need?
You can figure out what size boots your dog needs by measuring your dog’s paws. To do so, have your dog stand on a piece of paper. Press down on the top of his paw gently and mark the length and width of his paw. Don’t forget to account for your dog’s nails. You might want to take measurements for your dog’s front and back paws, since they’re often slightly different sizes.
Most dog boots are sized by width. Some are also sized by length for extra accuracy. Sizing is not always consistent between manufacturers, so knowing your dog’s paw measurements is the best way to get the right fit. Check the sizing chart for the boots you’re interested in buying. If your dog is between sizes, or if your dog has differently-sized front and back paws, it’s better to err on the side of buying boots that are slightly too large. You can use dog socks in conjunction with the boots to get a better fit, if necessary.
How do I put boots on my dog?
It can take some time and patience to train your dog to wear boots if he’s never worn them before. Introduce your dog to his new boots in a familiar, non-stressful environment. Slip them onto his feet one at a time, holding his toes together so they don’t get caught. (It may be easier to put the boots on if you trim your dog’s toenails first.) Secure the boot’s fasteners snugly around the smallest part of your dog’s leg. Be sure to praise your dog for behaving well as you put each boot on — positive reinforcement is key to getting your dog to like his new boots.
Will dog boots stay on an active dog?
Many dog owners protect their pup’s paws with boots during long hikes, runs, beach walks, and other active excursions. A good pair of boots should stay put throughout any adventures you and your dog have in the great outdoors. There are two keys to making sure the boots you choose stay on your dog’s feet. First, make sure the boots fit your dog correctly, and check that they are tightly fastened. Second, let your dog wear his boots frequently so he gets used to having them on. Dogs usually only try to take off their boots when they’re not acclimated to the feeling of wearing them. In fact, many dogs who initially dislike their boots actually come to enjoy wearing them later on.
Other Dog Boots We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other sets of dog boots in the course of our research. Even though these didn’t make our 5 best dog boots list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each set is included with the listing.
These durable neoprene boots are made for active dogs. They can be used on any type of surface, and your dog can even wear them in the water.
- Thin but puncture-resistant soles
- Adjustable Velcro straps
- Slit in back for ease of use
- Fits dogs with paws 2.75″ to 4.5″ across
Take your dog out on the trail with these durable all-terrain, all-weather boots. They’re water-resistant and breathable for your dog’s comfort. The thick soles are made of recycled tire material.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.5″ across to 3.5″ across
- Front boots are slightly larger than back boots
- Water resistant
- Cinch closure
- Boots come with garment bag
With their sturdy construction, thick rubber soles, weatherproof Houndtex fabric, and ergonomic design, these boots can go anywhere your dog goes.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.25″ across to 3″ across
- Grooved rubber soles provide traction
- Adjustable strap for secure fit
- Wrap-around design makes these boots especially easy to put on
- Comes in sets of 2
Cost: $23 for two boots
These all-season dog boots are perfect for use inside or outside. Constructed from breathable mesh and synthetic leather, they’ll keep your dog’s feet cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The soles feature LED lights for nighttime use.
- Fits dogs with paws 2″ wide to 3.25″ wide
- Ankle cord locks for a secure fit
- Red and green LED lights on soles
- 4 lithium batteries required
You’ll never lose sight of your dog while he’s wearing these fluorescent orange boots. Ideal for outdoor use, these boots are soft and adjustable for a perfect fit. They’re also machine washable.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.57″ wide to 2.87″ wide
- Easy to put on and take off
- Bright orange for visibility
- Heat- and cold-resistant
- Machine washable
Breathable and lightweight, these boots are a great choice for year-round use. Two extra-long Velcro straps prevent the boots from coming off your dog’s paws.
- Fits dogs with paws 2″ wide to 3″ wide
- Flexible, skid-proof rubber soles
- Breathable fabric
- Long Velcro straps for adjusting fit
- Reflective strip for visibility
These dog boots have extra-sturdy rubber soles made from recycled tire material and PVC-reinforced toes. The nylon uppers repel water.
- Fits dogs with paws 2.25″ wide to 4″ wide
- Thick but flexible rubber sole
- Durable, water-resistant nylon fabric
- Reinforced toe
- Adjustable Velcro straps with foam pads for cushioning
Unlike most of the other dog boots on the market, these shoes run very small, with a size range of XXXS to M. They’re designed for puppies and small dog breeds.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.25″ wide to 2″ wide
- Rubber soles
- Leather uppers
- Available in brown, red, and pink
Rain and snow are no match for these waterproof dog boots. The skid-proof soles help your dog maintain good traction in wet weather.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.92″ wide to 2.67″ wide
- Waterproof fabric
- Flexible rubber soles for traction
- Adjustable Velcro straps
- Bright yellow color for visibility
- Zipper makes boots easy to put on
If you’re looking for a simple boot to keep your dog’s feet dry, these shoes might be just what you need. They’re made of waterproof cloth and feature a drawstring closure. Many reviewers have noted that these shoes run small.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.38″ wide to 2.36″ wide
- Simple design
- Drawstring closure
- Random color selection
- Recommended for indoor use
Each of these unusual dog boots is made of a single piece of rubber, like an uninflated balloon. They fit over your dog’s feet like socks. These boots are disposable, but you can reuse them if you like.
- Fits dogs with paws 0.87″ wide to 4″ wide
- Waterproof rubber material
- Thin soles provide a natural feel, perfect for dogs who dislike wearing boots
- Stays securely on without straps or fastenings
- Shipped in packs of 12
These boots are made of soft, flexible PVC. They come in a number of different colors and are easy to clean.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.5″ wide to 2.55″ wide
- Waterproof PVC material is flexible, comfortable, and non-toxic
- Easy to put on and remove
- Choose from pink, purple, blue, and black
- Wipe with a damp cloth to clean
In addition to being waterproof, these rugged dog boots have all the features you’d expect from an all-weather boot. The neoprene material keeps water out, while the reinforced sole and toe improve the boots’ durability.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.75″ wide to 3.5″ wide
- Double-stitched sole and reinforced toe for durability
- Waterproof neoprene keeps the elements out
- Velcro straps are easy to adjust for the right fit
- Comes with mesh travel bag
Protect your dog’s feet in the summertime with these breathable, heat-friendly boots. Their textured rubber soles keep your pet’s paws off hot surfaces.
- Fits dogs with paws 2.5″ wide to 2.9″ wide
- Breathable knit fabric is ideal for outdoor use during warm weather
- Adjustable Velcro fastenings
- Reflective stitching on adjustable straps for visibility
These lightweight mesh shoes are perfect for helping your dog beat the summer heat. They’re durable enough to use year-round.
- Fits dogs with paws 2.16″ wide to 2.95″ wide
- Rubber soles for stability and heat protection
- Breathable mesh fabric lets air circulate
- Easy to slip on and off your dog’s paws
- Velcro straps for adjustable fit
- Hand washable
The mesh tops of these neoprene boots keep your dog’s paws cool. These boots are designed for small dogs.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.42″ wide to 1.89″ wide
- Rubber soles for traction and heat protection
- Mesh fabric lets air circulate
- Two reflective, adjustable Velcro straps
- Available in pink, green, and black
These mesh-topped dog boots are ideal for use in every season except winter.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.42″ wide to 2.79″ wide
- Tough rubber soles offer protection from heat and sharp objects
- Reflective Velcro bands ensure you get a snug fit
- Fine mesh fabric keeps your dog’s paws cool
- Available in blue, red, and black
Protect your floors and help your dog maintain good traction in the house with these slip-proof socks.
- Fits dogs with paws 2.16″ wide to 3.15″ wide
- Silicone print on sole for traction
- Available in black and red
These knitted dog socks have skid-proof rubber soles and Velcro straps around the top to ensure they stay on.
- Fits dogs with paws 1.7″ wide to 2.8″ wide
- Socks are dipped in rubber to improve durability and traction
- Waterproof soles
- Velcro straps keep socks on
These warm, cozy fleece dog socks have nonslip rubber soles. The strap closure keeps the socks securely on your dog.
- Fits dogs with paws 1″ wide to 4″ wide
- Natural rubber soles
- Soft fleece material is treated to be water-resistant
- Adjustable strap keeps socks in place