After dog food, dog beds are some of the most important choices pet parents will make. This becomes even more important as a dog ages and they start to experience aches and pains.
We took a look through dozens of dog beds to identify the best of the best. We looked through different options and weighed them based on comfort, features, build, materials, and other features we viewed as essential to a quality dog bed. We also sorted them by our favorites, ones that are more budget-friendly, some of the best orthopedic beds, and more. We’ll break down what you need to know about each bed so you can make the best decision for your dog.
Overall, our top winner is the due to its quality, materials, and durability. This bed stood out as the clear winner due to its 10-year guarantee, high-quality orthopedic foam, and how easy it is to clean. It comes in three different sizes and it will retain 90% of its original shape and size for 10 years or you get your money back, which really makes it a no-brainer choice.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Beds
|Best Overall||Big Barker 7" Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed||4.7|
|Runner Up||Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler||4.6|
|Best Budget Buy||K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Lounge Sleeper Pet Bed||4.7|
|Best Orthopedic Large Dog Bed||Furhaven Deluxe Traditional Jumbo Mattress Pet Bed||4.3|
|Best Elevated Dog Bed||The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
If you’re looking to spoil your dog with one of the most comfortable beds out there, you won’t want to miss out on the . There’s no doubt that it’s a little pricey compared to some of the options out there with a range of $199-$350, but that extra cost comes with a 10-year warranty. Any pet parent knows how fast they can go through dog beds, so having that extra security in mind is worth it for some people. If you have a large dog, you’ll be happy to know that it can withhold the weight of almost any dog, which is a dream come true for parents of dogs like Great Danes.
The Microfiber cover comes off and can be put right into your washer for easy cleaning. Inside is 7″ of American Made therapeutic foam, which is the same kind you can find in high-end furniture. Unlike other memory foams on the market, this one will hold 90% of its shape for 10 years or you get your money back. This foam is also perfect for any dog that suffers from hip dysplasia, arthritis, or any other pain.
This dog bed comes in four gorgeous colors: khaki, chocolate, burgundy, and charcoal gray so it looks like a nice piece of furniture instead of a dog bed.
Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed Key Features:
- Easy to clean, machine washable
- 100% Microfiber cover
- 10-year guarantee
- Available in Large, XL, and Giant XXL
- Four available colors: khaki, chocolate, burgundy, and charcoal gray
Our Runner Up Pick: Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler
Looking for an ergonomic dog bed with an oh-so-stylish design? Introducing: Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler. This dog bed is without a doubt one of the best designed ones we came across during our research. It features an ultra-soft vegan faux fur exterior and a donut shape that’s perfect for pooches who love to curl up.
In fact, according to the company, the donut shape helps to foster a sense of security for your pooch, as well as offer head and neck support. While that would already be enough to put it miles ahead of many other options, this bed goes a step further by being stuffed with a a filling that provides joint and muscle pain relief. Another unique feature worth noting about this bed is that it’s self-heating, thanks to its insulation layer that designed to radiate warmth from your dog’s own body heat.
Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Key Features:
- Made out of vegan fur
- Provides neck and back support
- Removable, machine-washable cover
- Variety of sizes available
Best Budget Pick: K&H Self-Warming Lounge Sleeper Pet Bed
While some of the other beds are best for medium or large size dogs, the K&H Self-Warming Lounge Sleeper Pet Bed is the perfect bed for someone with a smaller dog who wants to give them the same luxury without paying a hundred or more dollars. It warms up on its own without any electricity needed and just uses your dog’s own body heat to make it nice and comfortable. The bed has a unique 2-layer design, one that works to insulate the heat and the other to reflect the heat back.
As a unique product, instead of the inside being filled with foam, the fill is made from recycled plastic bottles. If you’re worried about plastic bottle pieces not being comfortable to sit on, you’d be happy to know that most reviewers highlighted the comfort of the bed.
It comes in three different color combinations so you can find the right match for your aesthetic. The small size is 16″ long, 20″ wide, and 6″ high. The bed is easy to wash, and several reviewers found that an average pillowcase fits around this bed if you want to add extra covers so you don’t have to wash as often. You can wash the whole bed in the washer with cold water and dryer on the no-heat cycle.
K&H Self-Warming Lounge Sleeper Pet Bed Key Features:
- Self-warming material
- Non-slip bottom
- Fill made from recycled plastic bottles
- Easy to wash and clean
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed: Furhaven Deluxe Traditional Jumbo Mattress Pet Bed
As a dog owner, you can’t go wrong with the Furhaven Deluxe Traditional Jumbo Mattress Pet Bed. This bed makes your dog’s comfort a top priority. Think of it like a luxurious bed without a luxurious price tag. The pressure-relieving orthopedic foam is ideal for any dog that suffers from joint pain, hip dysplasia, or arthritis.
The mattress foam is 4″, which is a good size for alleviating those pains, even with long hours of lounging. It’s step-on design is particularly ideal for older and/or disabled dogs, who won’t need to exert themselves in any way to enjoy a good rest on it. Your dog won’t be the only one who loves it, though. You’ll no doubt appreciate that the cover is removable and machine washable for easy cleaning.
While the bed featured here is jumbo-sized and in a gray color, this model comes in a few other sizes and colors. Other sizes available include small, medium, large, and jumbo plus. For colors, you also have the choice of chocolate and cream.
Furhaven Deluxe Traditional Jumbo Mattress Pet Bed Key Features:
- 4″ orthopedic foam
- Comes in 5 sizes: small, medium, large, jumbo, and jumbo plus
- 3 color choices: gray, chocolate, and cream
- Removable, machine washable cover
Best Elevated Dog Bed: The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo
If you’re looking for an elevated bed, we found that the The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo is the best of the best available. It’s designed to keep your dog cool in warm weather. By being suspended, it creates low-impact areas for added comfort for your dog and in turn reduces stress on your dog’s joints.
But don’t take our word for it; over 25,000 customers have given it an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Needless to say, that’s a lot of happy customers! Many love the fact that beyond proving to be comfortable for their dogs, it’s also built to last. It features easy-to-wash high-density polyethylene (HDPE) fabric and a powder-coated steel frame that’s 100% lead-free. The bed is also flea, mite, mold and mildew resistant. Did we mention that cleaning this elevated dog bed is also easy? Just hose it off with water and allow it to dry—that’s it!
If the medium-sized, gunmetal gray colored version of this bed pictured isn’t quite matching up to what you’re looking for, keep in mind that there are other size and color options available.
The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo Key Features:
- Durable steel frame
- Comes in a variety of colors and sizes
- Made out of breathable, high-density polyethylene (HDPE)
- Flea, mite, mold and mildew resistant
Who Should Buy a Dog Bed
While you might love snuggling with your dog on your couch, sometimes you both want your separate space. Dogs love beds because it’s their own space and somewhere they can sit and relax. This will also save your furniture from the wear-and-tear that can come from your dog being on it at all hours.
A good bed can also help your dog stay at the temperature they prefer. Some elevated beds can help keep your dog cooler so they aren’t as hot during the warmer months, and some beds can keep your dog warmer. Depending on the type of dog you have, this can really help because some prefer one type of weather over the other. Dogs with thick hair usually love to be cooler and dogs with short hair need some extra warmth.
A dog bed is also a great option for outdoor relaxation. This can keep your dog cleaner also because a lot of dogs love to lie down in dirt or grass. Instead, they can sit in their bed whenever they want, and usually, the beds are more comfortable as well.
Important Features to Consider
A dog bed should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog bed:
- Durability. Finding a dog bed that can withstand the daily use of your dog’s excitement is a huge factor for most dog parents. The last thing you want to do is buy a bed and then have to buy a new one in a few weeks. Nylon or canvas are two materials that can handle digging and jumping more than materials such as cotton.
- Overall shape. You want to make sure you’re picking the right size for your dog. To get a good idea for what size you need, measure your dog from their snout to the base of their tail. There are a few other factors you want to consider when it comes to picking a size for your dog. For one, does your dog curl up in a ball when they sleep or do they spread out? Do they like to sit on their bed and chew toys? When you’re stuck between two sizes, you rarely can go wrong with choosing the bigger size.
- Materials. Dog owners want to make sure they’re getting the best materials possible. That might mean they’re more durable, eco-friendly, or easy to wash. Maybe you want all of the above combined into one. You’ll need to know how your dog tries to relax so you know what to look out for. Your dog might also have some skin allergies you’ll have to keep in mind when it comes to picking certain materials.
- Indoor or outdoor use. Knowing whether you plan to use the bed indoors or outdoors will be something you need to analyze before buying a dog bed. If you want to use a dog bed for outdoor use, an elevated bed is your best choice. It helps keep your dog off the damp ground and helps keep air flowing in the warmer weather.
- Non-slip bottom. If you’re planning to put your dog bed on the carpet, having a non-slip bottom is less of a worry. However, if you plan to place the bed on slippery surfaces such as wood, you’ll want to look for one that won’t slide all over the floor.
- Warranty or return policy. Even though you take your time to take all of these factors into consideration, sometimes a bed just doesn’t work for various reasons. You want to make sure the bed you’re picking has a quality warranty or return policy just in case.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a dog bed be too big?
While a dog bed can’t technically be too big, just like how humans can’t technically have a bed that’s too big for them, you can pick one that has more room than you realize your dog actually needs. It’ll be up to you if you want your dog to have extra room or if you want to return it and get the next smaller size.
If you’re not sure what size to order, you can start by measuring your dog from the tip of their nose to the base of their tail. That gives you a general idea of where to start and what to order.
Are orthopedic dog beds worth it?
When you’re shopping for dog beds, you might commonly come across orthopedic options. While there is currently no standard that defines what is an orthopedic bed vs. a regular bed, it usually means that it’s filled with memory foam or something similar to alleviate joint or other pains on a dog. Dogs who have had injuries, are older, have joint problems, soft tissue injuries, or other painful injuries can benefit from an orthopedic bed.
How often should you replace a dog bed?
Dogs love their bed and can become attached to it through time, but for the most part, there will come a time when you debate replacing it with a new one. One good rule of thumb is that once the foam or other filling starts to hit the floor, it’s a good time to replace it. Outside of that, it’s up to you to determine if some holes and scratches here and there need replacing or simple repairs.
Are raised dog beds better?
For the most part, raised dog beds are ideal for outdoor use. It doesn’t have foam but instead, have stretched material for the bed. It usually doesn’t get as dirty as other beds because there’s no foam or filling to absorb sweat, dirt, and hair. A raised dog bed is also much easier to clean and is far more resistant to chewing than other material beds.
Other Dog Beds We Reviewed
We looked at 21 other beds for dogs. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog beds list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Elevated Dog Beds
This elevated bed from AmazonBasics has a breathable mesh fabric that helps keep pets cool. It’s raised 7 inches and comes in five different sizes.
- Elevated 7 in. off ground
- Mesh size 44.1*32.3
- Easy to clean
- Comes in 5 different sizes
This elevated bed from K&H offers a fluffy plush bolster for extra comfort. It’s also waterproof, bacteria, mold, and mildew resistant, keeping the dog bed clean and your dog healthy.
- 600-denier nylon fabric
- Simple, tool-free assembly
- Non-skid rubber feet
This durable, elevated bed from Veehoo is a great option for any dog parent who has a rough and tumble dog. This bed can withstand a lot of wear and tear without showing any signs of damage.
- Textilene Mesh and Powder-Coated Steel
- Easy to assemble – no screws or wrenches needed
- Built to handle heavy dogs
This bed from Paws and Pals is easy to clean, all you need to do is wipe it down with cleanser or soap. It’s easy to put together and take apart for easy traveling.
- Takes up very little space when taken down
- Comes in Medium and Large
This bed from K9 is built for heavy persistent chewers so it won’t fall apart right away. It’s also designed for most crates which makes it a good replacement for a standard dog crate mat.
- Chew, scratch, and bite proof
- Provides orthopedic support
What makes this dog bed from SUPERJARE unique is the cover that goes over the top. It can hold up to 120 lbs., so most dogs can enjoy the comfort of this bed.
- Comes with a canopy for shade and protection
- Made with durable Oxford fabric
- Portable for easily traveling
Orthopedic Dog Beds
The FurHaven dog bed gives your dog a variety of sleeping positions due to the bolster. It has a comfortable plush faux fur fabric that feels extra luxurious.
- Three bolster design
- Plush faux fur
- “Egg crate” shape with an orthopedic foam base
This bed comes in sophisticated graphite grey and is made with a heavy-duty fabric that makes the outer cover super durable, while the reverse side of the fabric boasts 100% water resistant coating. And when it comes to comfort, your canine companion will love the feel of the 100% recycled green-fiber fill.
- Wonderful bed for dogs who spend lots of time outside
- Outer cover is robust and durable
- Reverse side of fabric is 100% water resistant
This bed from Friends Forever offers a suede cover with mattress memory-foam. The water-resistant liner on the inside keeps the foam clean and easy to clean.
- Mattress memory-foam
- Removable suede cover
- Water-resistant liner
The FurHaven has medical-grade foam on the inside, giving your pet ultimate relief from any pain.
- Ergonomically-sound design
- Plush fabric lining
- Medical-grade foam
The Milliard dog bed offers 4″ of luxe memory foam so your dog can feel relief from any pain or stiffness. The washable cover easily comes off for easy cleaning, keeping your home healthier.
- Non-slip cover
- 4″ of foam
- Certified by CertiPUR-US to contain only safe and chemical-free materials
This bed from JOYELF has a memory foam base along with non-slip rubber backing to keep your pet safe when they get in their bed every day. The cover can be put in the washer for simple cleaning, making it a breeze.
- Waterproof coating
- Non-slip rubber backing
- Removable cover is machine washable
The base and bolsters on the PetFusion bed provides optimal support and security. It’s water resistant and has a tear-resistant cover so it can stay in good shape over time.
- Can hold 100+ pounds
- Water and tear resistant
- Non-skid bottom
With an anti-slip bottom in the KOPEKS bed, your dog will be safe getting in and out every night. It has hypo-allergenic premium memory foam, which is some of the best foam on the market.
- Orthopedic memory foam
- 7″ thick memory foam with a 3″ headrest
- Fabric, zippered cover
Durable Dog Beds
Scruffs’ durable dog bed is upholstered with a rich tweed outer sidewall combined with a contrasting chenille lining. A faux leather center patch with embroidered logo and faux leather piping complete the bed’s detailing. Complete with a non-slip base and machine washable properties.
- Machine washable
- Durable one piece construction
- Chenille lining and rich tweed outer sidewall
This bed from Dogbed4less has a waterproof liner to keep the foam protected as well as two more external covers. The foam also holds up over time so you don’t need to worry about running through a dog bed so fast.
- Waterproof liner and two additional ones
- Hypoallergenic solid memory foam
- Jeans denim cover to keep the bed lasting for long
Although this is technically a crate pad, the Hero mat could easily be used as a durable bed. It has an anti-slip bottom and is washable. It holds its shape over a long period of time, which is why it’s a good choice for pet parents looking for something that will last.
- Low maintenance and long-lasting
- Comes in 4 sizes
- Completely washable
The top layer of this BarkBox bed is waterproof and the cover can be washed in your washer so you can keep it clean over the long run.
- Comes in four different colors
- Plush fabric
- Top layer is waterproof
The memory foam bed from Laifug has a smart design for maximum comfort for how dogs like to sleep. The foam holds up over time as well as the cover for long-term use.
- Orthopedic Memory Foam: (i)30D Super Soft Foam+40D Memory Foam
- Waterproof liner
- Laifug foam will retain at least 90% of its shape and support for the next 3 years
This bed from Brindle can easily handle everyday wear and tear for dogs. It also has a waterproof layer and removable cover that’s washer and dryer safe.
- Waterproof layer
- Cover is washer and dryer safe
- 4″ thick dog bed
This bed from Sealy is designed to stand up to wear and tear of everyday dog use. It has built-in quad layered foam for the ultimate support for your pet.
- Pro-Charcoal base to help absorb odors and keep it smelling fresh
- Cover can come off and is washable
- Therapeutic support